Jump to content

"Somebody reacted to a post"


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

unfortunately, the system doesn't seem to be willing to tell who had been "reacting"...

 

well, that would defeat the purpose, I guess.

 

Folks, the issue of the anonymous votes had been discussed vehemently with the introduction of the new forum software (which was when? Two years ago?) with at least one person leaving the forum because of it. The feature has since been around, used (more heavily over time as far as I can tell) and silently accepted by pretty much everybody else, so there does not appear to be a big need for a new debate here, does there?   

Edited by RAc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

It means that someone clicked the Like button or one of the related buttons.  I think it's intended to be Facebook-like functionality,

 

And since I believe I have such things disabled, I get the notification without learning why.  Interesting.

 

Meanwhile, I did get notified of your response.  Specifically:

Quote

Somebody reacted to a post in a topic "Somebody reacted to a post"

 

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

 

Thank you Paul - I'm prefering this added functionality over the anonymous messaging.

 

Yes, I didn't even know it was off for normal members. Honestly, people need to remember that this is a commercial product... I don't know every nook and cranny of the software, I don't program it myself, and so before assuming that there is some nefarious plot behind some new feature or field or requirement, maybe just ask politely? Usually these things just show up in an update to the system (which yes, I do apply because they often include security patches/updates to keep the system safe from hackers/spammers/scammers... it's a constant battle!) and I can always look into adding/removing/modifying something if it makes sense (and if it's possible -- no guarantees!). Remember that this system is used by thousands of diverse communities all over the world... what doesn't really make sense for us might be an important requirement for some other community.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Paul Schwartz said:

 

Yes, I didn't even know it was off for normal members. Honestly, people need to remember that this is a commercial product... I don't know every nook and cranny of the software, I don't program it myself, and so before assuming that there is some nefarious plot behind some new feature or field or requirement, maybe just ask politely? Usually these things just show up in an update to the system (which yes, I do apply because they often include security patches/updates to keep the system safe from hackers/spammers/scammers... it's a constant battle!) and I can always look into adding/removing/modifying something if it makes sense (and if it's possible -- no guarantees!). Remember that this system is used by thousands of diverse communities all over the world... what doesn't really make sense for us might be an important requirement for some other community.

 

 

The only thing is that up to this point, all visual comments have been made under the assumption that they can not be traced back to the originator. Making them traceable in retrospect may be viewed as a severe breach of trust.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RAc said:

 

The only thing is that up to this point, all visual comments have been made under the assumption that they can not be traced back to the originator. Making them traceable in retrospect may be viewed as a severe breach of trust.

 

Did anyone know? maybe after a while... But it hadn't been exactly true anyway, as it was obvious that the admins (and mods?) were of cause able to trace things back.

 

And frankly, I don't think "severe" is an appropriate term here, as we all want to share our experience with music and our beloved instruments (and I wasn't inclined to go back to the first days of the "voting" feature being applied, when "downvoting" asf. occured), there's usually consent and appreciation rather than argument - let's look and move forward I'd say...

 

Best wishes - ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

 

Did anyone know? maybe after a while... But it hadn't been exactly true anyway, as it was obvious that the admins (and mods?) were of cause able to trace things back.

 

Best wishes - ?

let's not split hairs in two here - of course I meant to write "untraceable to the community." I guess this was clear enough. Admins may also be able to monitor private conversations which does not change anything about the fact that users do engage in those private conversations, relying on the concept that those will remain invisible to the community public.

 

When I do add a visual comment via a like, a thanks or whatever, of course it does make a difference to me whether I know that the person whose contrib I commented upon will know it was me or not. I'm NOT bringing up the issue (again) whether anonymous commenting is good or not. All I object to is that all of the visual comments that have been made under the assumption of inattributability have been made publicly traceable afterwards without asking for consent. That would been somehwat similar to making all private conversations public without asking those involved for permission. The correct strategy would have been to simply leave everything in the past as is, make an announcement that all visual comments will from now an be attributable to the source and make the change then.

 

That said, I personally don't think it's too big an issue either, so this will be my last comment here. I just don't want to let the statement stay unchallenged that it is ok to make a change like that without  asking those involved.

Edited by RAc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RAc said:

The correct strategy would have been to simply leave everything in the past as is, make an announcement that all visual comments will from now an be attributable to the source and make the change then.

 

This would of course seem natural, however the software switch apparently doesn't work that way...

 

12 minutes ago, RAc said:

When I do add a visual comment via a like, a thanks or whatever, of course it does make a difference to me whether I know that the person whose contrib I commented upon will know it was me or not.

 

I myself wouldn't comment in a way that makes my authorship a delicate thing on a forum like these anyway - but of course I'm not putting your point into question as long as it's a personal one (me=RAc).

 

Best wishes - ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth -- which is probably not much, -- I don't even know what you all are talking about.  It doesn't seem to be anything in my experience here.  It sounds like social media "likes", but I don't recall seeing anything like that.

 

Is it something that can be turned off by individuals, which I might have done when it first appeared and have since forgotten?

 

Just wondering.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Jim, do you see "like"  attached to your most recent post?

 

Ah, now that you mention it, I see something I can interpret that way.  A little heart in the lower right, with the text " Wolf Molkentin reacted to this ".  Very small and unobtrusive, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't told me.

 

I wonder if there have been others in the past that I overlooked in the same way that I look past other things I don't use, such as "Insert other media" and "Drag files here...".

 

And I still don't know how I would add one of my own... not that I would want to.  I avoid "likes" where I can't say why I like something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...