Another Pirate Concertina Sighting

alex_holden

12 hours ago, alex_holden said:

You should still be able to watch it without an I.G. account, just click/tap on it to start it playing.

Unfortunately, no.  I clicked, then waited for more than 20 minutes, but nothing at all happened, so I gave up.

The YouTube video you linked to did work, though, so that was nice.

By the way, if it weren't for the title to this Topic, I wouldn't have identified the concertina player as a "pirate".  Is that how he styles himself?

2 minutes ago, JimLucas said:

By the way, if it weren't for the title to this Topic, I wouldn't have identified the concertina player as a "pirate".  Is that how he styles himself?

The pirate theme made a bit more sense in the context of the full event (there were other people dressed as pirates, and a group singing sea shanties), which was lost when I trimmed it down to the brief section where we actually saw John on screen. He was playing nautical tunes in the background throughout the broadcast.

19 hours ago, Myrtle's cook said:

It looks great! Whilst the sound quality isn't recording studio standard, it sounds pretty good too - particularly the balance.

Yes, the balance is one of the things I really love about it.

By the way, if you're in Liverpool it was probably the 7.50 broadcast you saw. Alex's clip is from the 6.40 - 7.00 broadcast. I think (but I'd need to check) that the sound in the later one was a bit better. I'll see if I can post a clip sometime.

LJ

15 hours ago, dabbler said:

I seem to recall, maybe from his instagram, @alex_holden building an instrument with long-scale reeds.  Is this the one?

-George

Yes, this one is No. 4. It has standard scale reeds on the left hand and long scale on the right hand, which I think helps with the balance on a duet instrument.

Edited by alex_holden
Minor correction
  • Like 2