Muffled reeds on my new Suttner

Hi,

i have a new Suttner A2-32 where one reed does not work on the pull and 2 reeds sound muffled/distorted.   I removed the 6 screws from the face plate but the cannot remove the reed pan.  it seems to be stuck and i am afraid to pull too hard.

Any ideas how i can get to the reeds see of there is dust or anything?

thanks,

Billyboy

Can you see the reed pan? there is a very snug fitting leather gasket holding it in place. reaching a finger into the center hole should free it with minor effort. What part of the world are you in? If you fear damage, please reach out to someone close to assist. I am in central North Carolina and would be happy to help.

5 hours ago, Lawrence Reeves said:

Can you see the reed pan? there is a very snug fitting leather gasket holding it in place. reaching a finger into the center hole should free it with minor effort. What part of the world are you in? If you fear damage, please reach out to someone close to assist. I am in central North Carolina and would be happy to help.

3 hours ago, Theo said:

If its new from the maker it would be polite to contact Suttner fits to ask for advice,  or if it's from a shop contact the seller.

i have reached out to Juergen Suttner over a month ago.  He suggested to remove the 6 screws on the face plate.   All other emails of mine, have not gotten a response.  i have tried 2 different email accounts.   So perhaps he is traveling or having issues with his email.

5 hours ago, Lawrence Reeves said:

I cannot see the reed pan.   i remove the 6 screws but the face plate still seem attached.  the pad box does come loose.    In the middle of the face plate there are several other screws, do any of these need to be removed?      Also, i live in Milwaukee, WI. 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, billyboy said:

In the middle of the face plate there are several other screws, do any of these need to be removed?

I wouldn't think so - (final part removed, had missed your previous post, sorry)

best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
had jumped the gun with my post

Hi, I have a Wakker anglo, where after removal of the screws, there is a strong ''glue tack'' that I have to break. This still happens after 10 years, there is no sticky feeling after making the break.  I hold bellows in two hands and then push ends with thumbs together on one side. You have to be firmer than you would expect.

If Juergen doesn't reply to an email, I would say he is definitely not ignoring you.  I've experienced this email problem as well.  Over the years I've sent my fair share of emails to Jurgen and some he replies to and the others I am certain he simply does not receive (probably a spam setting on the email... or something more technical out there in cyber space that I am unaware of).

I would say just keep trying to send him emails until one gets through.

Ok, so you take the end screws out and you can't get to the reed pan? So are you able to separate the bellows from the end plates or is it all stuck together?

Is this metal ended or wood ended?

hi - several things.    thanks for everyone chipping in here.   i really appreciate it.

-- i did get an email returned due to something on his end about an IP address failing to respond.  But i will continue sending email.

-- this is a metal end concertina.

-- i did get the face plate and pad board removed - thanks the Lawrence R's suggestion.  so i can see the reeds.

-- to clarify, there are 2 buttons on left hand that sound muffled or like something is causing them to not vibrate freely.  one button is on pull an the button next to it is on the push.  also, there is one button on right hand that does not sound at all on the pull.

-- on the left side, i cannot see any dust or particles in the reeds.   i have not looked at the right yet.

can i slip a piece of paper or something very thing under the reed to make sure nothing is blocking?   will this hurt anything?

thanks - bill

2 hours ago, billyboy said:

can i slip a piece of paper or something very thing under the reed to make sure nothing is blocking?   will this hurt anything?

thanks - bill

Hi Bill, of course you can do that! As well around the reed. I do this whenever I have to check if there is something stuck...

• Like 1

Hi - i used a can of compressed air and very gently sprayed the reeds in question.   this seemed to do the trick for the reed that did not sound.   for the reeds that were muffled, it worked for a bit and the reeds sounded fine.  then the dust particles or whatever it was came back.

so, i am viewing this as fixed over all, as i now know how to get to the reeds.

thanks everyone so much for the input and help!

bill

• 2 weeks later...

Muffled reeds probably aren’t dust related, though the stuck reed may we’ll have been.  On a new concertina, I wouldn’t expect a loose corner block in the bellows which can cause reeds close to it to be weak, but overly stiff flap valve leather covering the reed ports in the reed pan often can muffle reeds, especially when new or just from a stiffer part of the leather they are cut from.  Sometimes just playing these reeds harder for a while can help the valves flex more.  A jet of air will generally cause the valves to flex a lot, but as they come back to rest can redevelop a set in that position.  So many problems can be traced to valves.  Other things can cause reeds to be muffled, but not ones I can think of that would be temporarily cured by a jet of canned air.

Dana

hi,

you are likely correct about the muffling not being dust related as it looked very clean inside.  i have not checked the valves very closely so i will look at those.  i was mostly thinking it was a reed thing.

bill