Salvation Army

Mikael

17 hours ago, Mikael said:

Thank you Mac for your answer!

Can you tell the brand? I read the initials as P A or maybe S A.

It’s a tricky one...the followers of Jesus seams to have been loaded. ? 

I want to learn to play it. I’m a accordionist and bandoneonist so a third keyboard can’t be a big deal. Specially compared to the bandoneon, which seams to have been designed by the devil. So I’m looking for a balance. ? 

Hi Mikael,

I misunderstood and thought it was a donation to Salvation Army (SA), being sold by them. Until today I didn't know there were SA concertina bands, so I'm glad I learned something ?. I did some google searching and found quite a bit of info on these bands, but didn't really see anything that would positively identify what brand this one is. Here's something on the timeline for transition from Anglo to English, and although they mention Lachenal (as Wolf and Daniel suggested), there's nothing definitive in the link I'm sharing...more just for general historical reading if you're interested. I hope you can have your restorer see it in person before deciding to buy, but I know that's not always possible. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you want to learn to play it, and I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mac ponc said:

Hi Mikael,

I misunderstood and thought it was a donation to Salvation Army (SA), being sold by them. Until today I didn't know there were SA concertina bands, so I'm glad I learned something ?. I did some google searching and found quite a bit of info on these bands, but didn't really see anything that would positively identify what brand this one is. Here's something on the timeline for transition from Anglo to English, and although they mention Lachenal (as Wolf and Daniel suggested), there's nothing definitive in the link I'm sharing...more just for general historical reading if you're interested. I hope you can have your restorer see it in person before deciding to buy, but I know that's not always possible. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you want to learn to play it, and I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your interest and research!

Maybe all this turns out to that I join the army. ?

HI Mikel.  Goran's contact:  goranrahm@telia.com.   Incidentally he was a founder member of Svenska Concertina:  Phone 46(18) 557103.  Or concertina@telia.com.  Even more of a coincidence is that another founder member was a retired Salvation Army missionary to India.

If you do take up the concertina another useful contact may be Jim Lucas (+45) 22 62 03 99.  He organizes Scandanavia Squeeze-in in Sweden each year.

Visually the instrument looks good, and being of good vintage and model,  having it appraised before sending it off to repair may address any hidden quirks.

Plenty of good restorers in England if  necessary, so ask me if you need.

Les

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 10:12 PM, Mikael said:

Im interested in buying this instrument. What is it worth (seller says it has not been played on for 40 years)? And can you give me a tip of a restorer that lives close to Sweden? 

Hej Mikael.  Bor du i Sverige?  Var?

Sorry that I just noticed your post.  I'm not as active here as I used to be, and I've been very busy, lately.

But maybe we could meet?  I live in Helsingør (DK), but at the moment I'm sitting in Jämtland, and Monday evening and Tuesday (Nov. 11 & 12) I'll be in Stockholm before heading back to Denmark on Wednesday morning.  I also plan to be in Stockholm, December 1-3 (Sunday through Tuesday).

I'll PM you with my contact information.

Med vänliga hälsningar,  /Jim

• Like 1

I am confident that the instrument is a Lachenal 30k , Only the Lachenal Instruments had 'steel reeds' stamped on the Right Hand Palm rest. The embossing on the Bellows frame end-wraps is also Lachenal.  what would confirm the 'deal is if you look at the same palm rest on the face that is the same side as the keys but vertical to the  metal plate  there may well be the Lachenal trade mark  of an outline of a reed and 'English Made'

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, conband said:

HI Mikel.  Goran's contact:  goranrahm@telia.com.   Incidentally he was a founder member of Svenska Concertina:  Phone 46(18) 557103.  Or concertina@telia.com.  Even more of a coincidence is that another founder member was a retired Salvation Army missionary to India.

If you do take up the concertina another useful contact may be Jim Lucas (+45) 22 62 03 99.  He organizes Scandanavia Squeeze-in in Sweden each year.

Visually the instrument looks good, and being of good vintage and model,  having it appraised before sending it off to repair may address any hidden quirks.

Plenty of good restorers in England if  necessary, so ask me if you need.

Les

Thank you so much!

I will call him soon!

/Mikael

On 11/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, JimLucas said:

Hej Mikael.  Bor du i Sverige?  Var?

Sorry that I just noticed your post.  I'm not as active here as I used to be, and I've been very busy, lately.

But maybe we could meet?  I live in Helsingør (DK), but at the moment I'm sitting in Jämtland, and Monday evening and Tuesday (Nov. 11 & 12) I'll be in Stockholm before heading back to Denmark on Wednesday morning.  I also plan to be in Stockholm, December 1-3 (Sunday through Tuesday).

I'll PM you with my contact information.

Med vänliga hälsningar,  /Jim

Hej Jim!

Yes I live in Stockholm. 

Im rather occupied this coming week but December sounds good to me. 

Then I will have my concertina as well. 

Best regards,

Mikael

On 11/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, d.elliott said:

I am confident that the instrument is a Lachenal 30k , Only the Lachenal Instruments had 'steel reeds' stamped on the Right Hand Palm rest. The embossing on the Bellows frame end-wraps is also Lachenal.  what would confirm the 'deal is if you look at the same palm rest on the face that is the same side as the keys but vertical to the  metal plate  there may well be the Lachenal trade mark  of an outline of a reed and 'English Made'

Dave

Hi Dave!

Thank you for your answer. 

Everyone says Lachenal si it has to be Lachenal. ?

/Mikael

16 hours ago, Mikael said:

Hej Jim!

Yes I live in Stockholm. 

Im rather occupied this coming week but December sounds good to me. 

Then I will have my concertina as well. 

Best regards,

Mikael

Hej Mikael

I'll be in Stockholm that weekend too (29 Nov - 4 Dec).  Would be good to meet up.

There's an English music session on Sunday 1 Dec and Swedish music session on Tuesday 3 Dec - both at Sjaette Tunnan in Gamla Stan.

Irish session at Wikstroems Pub in Gamla Stan on Monday 2 Dec.

I'll have my concertina with me.

Hope to see you then.

mvh

Steve

Edited by SteveS
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 9:27 PM, SteveS said:

Hej Mikael

I'll be in Stockholm that weekend too (29 Nov - 4 Dec).  Would be good to meet up.

There's an English music session on Sunday 1 Dec and Swedish music session on Tuesday 3 Dec - both at Sjaette Tunnan in Gamla Stan.

Irish session at Wikstroems Pub in Gamla Stan on Monday 2 Dec.

I'll have my concertina with me.

Hope to see you then.

mvh

Steve

Hi Steve!

Nice!

I could try to get there Monday or Tuesday. 

Mvh,

Mikael

On 11/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, Mikael said:

Hi Steve!

Nice!

I could try to get there Monday or Tuesday. 

Hi Michael.

I'll be there, too.  (Steve and I know each other.)

If you could also come on Sunday, you could meet some of the other concertina players, including one very good anglo ("English style") player.

Earlier this week, at the Monday Irish session, there was an anglo player -- which is unusual, -- but I didn't manage to talk with him, so I don't know whether he'll be there on December 2.

And you might also plan to partake of the julbord at Sjätte Tunnan, where Sebastian (an EC player and singer) is head chef and a renowned authority on authentic Medieval cuisine.  I know I won't miss it!  I may even enjoy it twice!  :)

Vi ses, /Jim

Edited by JimLucas

On 11/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, Wolf Molkentin said:

...just met Nigel Sture of Devon in person and can vouch for his being truly reliable...

Seconded! I bought my first concertina from Nigel - a lovely 20-button C/G which is still totally fine after 5 years.

He recently re-furbed a rather beat-up 20-button G/D for me, and within the context of what was feasible/sensible,

did a first-rate job.