Jump to content
Mikael

Salvation Army

Recommended Posts

Hello Concertina lovers!

Im interested in buying this instrument. What is it worth (seller says it has not been played on for 40 years)? And can you give me a tip of a restorer that lives close to Sweden? 

Thanks!

/Mikael

C19B1B59-B2E6-42B0-BDB9-F9373600BB14.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I don't know what it''s worth. I do think it's future value depends a lot on whether you're looking to restore and sell for a profit, or if you're buying/restoring it to play, or learn to play yourself. Either way, I don't imagine the Salvation Army would be out to overcharge someone on this, and if that happened, the surplus would go to a good cause I suppose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mikael said:

Hello Concertina lovers!

Im interested in buying this instrument. What is it worth (seller says it has not been played on for 40 years)? And can you give me a tip of a restorer that lives close to Sweden? 

Thanks!

/Mikael

 

How much it's worth depends very much on its condition, what key it's in and whether it's in concert pitch.  But here's a fully restored one that may be roughly comparable that Barleycorn Concertinas is selling for £2200  :

http://www.concertina.co.uk/stock-selection/?concertina=3246

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mac ponc said:

Sorry, I don't know what it''s worth. I do think it's future value depends a lot on whether you're looking to restore and sell for a profit, or if you're buying/restoring it to play, or learn to play yourself. Either way, I don't imagine the Salvation Army would be out to overcharge someone on this, and if that happened, the surplus would go to a good cause I suppose.

Thank you Mac for your answer!

Can you tell the brand? I read the initials as P A or maybe S A.

It’s a tricky one...the followers of Jesus seams to have been loaded. 🙂 

I want to learn to play it. I’m a accordionist and bandoneonist so a third keyboard can’t be a big deal. Specially compared to the bandoneon, which seams to have been designed by the devil. So I’m looking for a balance. 🙂 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

 

How much it's worth depends very much on its condition, what key it's in and whether it's in concert pitch.  But here's a fully restored one that may be roughly comparable that Barleycorn Concertinas is selling for £2200  :

http://www.concertina.co.uk/stock-selection/?concertina=3246

Thank you Daniel!

Of course the condition is important. If it’s worth repairing. 

Can you tell the brand?

My intention is to play it so I’m not interested in earning a lot of cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mikael,

 

it's impossible to make a serious assessment by looking at just one picture. You may want to post a video of someone playing every note on push and pull and rotating the instrument towards the camera, that'll be helpful for an overall idea of the condition of the instrument.

 

The one thing that strikes me funny is that as far as I can tell, Salvation Army members (at least in Germany) typically played Crane Duet concertinas (Triumph in their terminology).  Where does the information about the Salvation Army come from anyways? I coudln't find it in the original post.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RAc said:

Hi Mikael,

 

it's impossible to make a serious assessment by looking at just one picture. You may want to post a video of someone playing every note on push and pull and rotating the instrument towards the camera, that'll be helpful for an overall idea of the condition of the instrument.

 

The one thing that strikes me funny is that as far as I can tell, Salvation Army members (at least in Germany) typically played Crane Duet concertinas (Triumph in their terminology).  Where does the information about the Salvation Army come from anyways? I coudln't find it in the original post.

 

Hi Rac!

I fully understand that it’s impossible to tell the value. I’m just trying to get a picture if it’s a instrument that could be good after a restoration. Of course the condition of the reeds are fundamental. 

The seller just have these pictures and doesn’t seam to know anything about musical instruments. So it will be a shot in the dark. 

 

The inside of the box says Salvation Army. 

Of course this is just a box and doesn’t say anything about the actual instrument. 

 

Can you tell the brand?

6CD32BC8-38E9-47F3-B701-0CB1E668EB1A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salvationists played Anglos too.  The SA initials are worked into the fretwork of this one - they stand for Salvation Army.

 

I would guess it's a Lachenal based on the STEEL REEDS stamp.  A detailed photo of the action would be helpful for a more definitive ID.

 

As I said earlier, the key is important.  It could be in Ab/Eb, which was common for Salvation Army Anglos.  And it may not be in modern A=440 pitch.  These things may not be a problem if you always play solo but could create problems if you want to play with other people.

Edited by Daniel Hersh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Daniel Hersh said:

Salvationists played Anglos too.  The SA initials are worked into the fretwork of this one - they stand for Salvation Army.

 

I would guess it's a Lachenal based on the STEEL REEDS stamp.  A detailed photo of the action would be helpful for a more definitive ID.

 

As I said earlier, the key is important.  It could be in Ab/Eb, which was common for Salvation Army Anglos.  And it may not be in modern A=440 pitch.  These things may not be a problem if you always play solo but could create problems if you want to play with other people.

That was my initial guess that the SA stood for Salvation Army. 

 

I´m waiting for the seller to send me more pictures....

 

I love flats so just bring them on. If it´s tuned in 415 I will play baroque music. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very likely a Lachenal, endplates and bellows are pointing in this direction too IMO.

 

However, the "SA" Anglos would rather have endplates covering the entire end; endplates like here usually seem to indicate a better quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mikael.   Goran Rahm who lives in Sweden is their authority on all things related to concertinas.  He also has good knowledge of Salvation Army usage in the past.

I'm not at home at the moment so cannot give you more precise contact details, but if you have no luck finding him come back to me, as he is definitely the man you need to contact.

 

Les Branchett 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Very likely a Lachenal, endplates and bellows are pointing in this direction too IMO.

 

However, the "SA" Anglos would rather have endplates covering the entire end; endplates like here usually seem to indicate a better quality.

Thank you Wolf for your input! 

Do you know any good restorer close to the baltic see?

 

/Mikael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conband said:

Hi Mikael.   Goran Rahm who lives in Sweden is their authority on all things related to concertinas.  He also has good knowledge of Salvation Army usage in the past.

I'm not at home at the moment so cannot give you more precise contact details, but if you have no luck finding him come back to me, as he is definitely the man you need to contact.

 

Les Branchett 

Thank you Les! I tried to "Google" Göran Rahm. It turns out that there are a few. If you find his contact I would be very pleased.

Best regards,

Mikael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Do you know any good restorer close to the baltic see?

 

/Mikael

 

Unfortunately I don't - I have just met Nigel Sture of Devon in person and can vouch for his being truly reliable from my own experience re three single instruments. At least as long as there's no brexit, send your instrument across the Channel I'd suggest...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

 

Unfortunately I don't - I have just met Nigel Sture of Devon in person and can vouch for his being truly reliable from my own experience re three single instruments. At least as long as there's no brexit, send your instrument across the Channel I'd suggest...

Thank´s for the tip! I will keep that name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mikael..   I should be able to pick up Goran's contact tomorrow.

 

Les

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, conband said:

Mikael..   I should be able to pick up Goran's contact tomorrow.

 

Les

Thank you Les! That will be wonderful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...