wrightguy

Can anyone identify this concertina?

Hello,

I have watched many videos online of Noel Hill performing. In many of the performances, he is playing a concertina that I cannot help but be drawn to. It has black ends and bellows and the buttons (which I assume to be metal) are silver in colour.

I've attached a few photos that I screen-grabbed from the performances. Hopefully someone here can identify it... Otherwise I'll have to ask the man himself!

Cheers.

image.png

Noel Hill Concertina II.PNG

Noel Hill Concertina III.PNG

Edited by wrightguy

Hi John,

Here's the link. Didn't post it originally as I thought the post might get flagged as spam.

Hello,I think you'll find those are two different instruments in your stills.My guess for the one use in the video would be a Wheatstone with wooden ends and nickel buttons? David.

Playing with Tony Linnane he often uses the Wheatstone he played when they made their recording, to recreate that sound they had (and still have).

When they did their first reunion concert in 2006,  it was the twenty third of June, the day before the fair,  he said he hadn't played that concertina for some fifteen years and I remember it failing on him at some point (although that may have been on a different occasion, all that stuff is blurring into one at this point).