Harmonium Reeds

• 1 year later...

I Think that the pump action reeds could work as surface mounted, but they would be heavy and the instrument would be best as a single action. What sort of chamber dimensions would these reeds relate to?

I managed to find a complete set of European made harmonium reeds, and for the projected bass Anglo the reed weight alone could be around 2kg.... I can reduce this by using conventional inset type reeds on the right end, but weight will still be an issue and single action for an Anglo isn't an option!

• Like 1

Pump organ/American organ reeds (top) have never been used for making concertinas. They work on suction, and are designed for that - often voiced by bending/twisting of the reed tongue to give the desired sound.

The reed-frames are all of the same width, with rounded tips, and slot into the sound board/reed pan.

goddard_reeds.jpg

Harmoniums work on pressure, and French harmonium reeds (bottom) were commonly used in  English-made bass concertinas.

They already have two screw holes in them for attachment to the sound board/reed pan, and the width of the frame varies to match the width of the reed.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 4:12 PM, Stephen Chambers said:

Pump organ/American organ reeds (top) have never been used for making concertinas. They work on suction, and are designed for that - often voiced by bending/twisting of the reed tongue to give the desired sound.

The reed-frames are all of the same width, with rounded tips, and slot into the sound board/reed pan.

goddard_reeds.jpg

Harmoniums work on pressure, and French harmonium reeds (bottom) were commonly used in  English-made bass concertinas.

They already have two screw holes in them for attachment to the sound board/reed pan, and the width of the frame varies to match the width of the reed.

Do you still think its possible to use american pump organ reeds?