Jeffries Duet tutor in the works

gcoover

Yes, you heard that right - for all you folks struggling with the quirks of the Jeffries Duet, a book is now in the works and with luck should be be available in a few months.

It's going to great fun putting this together, especially since Michael Hebbert and Gavin Atkin have both graciously offered to assist.

In addition to 20-30 tunes, it will also include recordings and videos that will be accessible by QR code in the paperback version and by hyperlink in the Kindle edition. 

We can all blame Greg Jowaisas for this - his long suffering patience will finally be rewarded.  

But here's how you can help - if you're a Jeffries Duet player, or a wannabe player, let me know if there is anything in particular that you need to get from this book. Or if there is a certain tune that you're struggling to learn. We can probably only get away with brief excerpts of any tune copyrighted after 1923, but that still leaves a lot of great traditional and classical music to choose from. No guarantees, but we'll do our best to accommodate!

Gary

• Like 1

That's great news. I have a Jeffries duet but guess I'm a 'wannabe'. Guidance / suggestions on fingering would be very useful, as the layout feels a bit random at times, though I guess its not! 

Look forward to the finished work.

Thanks

Peter

You might provide a page of different note layouts so folks can co-ordinate their particular instruments with your efforts.  There seems to be lots of variation outside the core key, mostly in the low range and overlap area.   

• 4 weeks later...

I'll look forward to this when it's finished.

I'd be especially interested in chord shapes and/or accompaniment, as I love the playing of Michael Hebbert and Gavin Atkin, and if I could pick up some of the accompaniment techniques they use, I'd be happy ?

• 2 months later...

A quick update... there's been a fantastic response from Jeffries Duet owners and players, the tutor is approaching 200 pages with super simple tunes all the way to ridiculously difficult, including many transcribed from Michael Hebbert's brilliant album The Rampin' Cat.

With luck, it should be available later this month.

It showcases the logic and versatility of the Jeffries Duet layout, and uses a notation system that might work for other duets as well.

As always, a real treat to pull it all together, with several videos to be posted soon.

Gary

Cover-JDT-cnet.jpg

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 1