30 button Anglo Dipper

Hi Linda

I'm sorry for your loss.

There are a few variations on the arrangement and specific notes someone might have on their concertina. Especially a Dipper which originally was custom made to the customers request.

Attached is my own layout chart for my Dipper. You can start with the chart  sitting in front of a piano with the concertina and check out and match each note up to the piano notes.

You could share a photo or two of your husbands concertina to maybe get more information,  and because people here love to see concertinas.

Richard

SF

Dipper County Clare Layout.doc

Dipper often customizes for per the customer's request.  So you may have an outlier or two even if you know the system he was aiming for (Wheatstone or Jeffries).  He may keep a record with a chart if you provide him the number on your concertina, but basically he will likely have a standard layout with a few variations.   If you can print out the chart for the Clare in richard's post, then compare with a tuner, tuner app or piano you may have all the answers at your fingertips.  

I hope you enjoy the concertina.  You have one of the best instruments out there if you have decided to learn yourself.

Sorry for your loss, Lynda Bass.

A Dipper is an exceptionally fine instrument and they do not come up for sale often.  Take advice from a number of independent sources if you are considering selling it and take your time to decide.

To find the keys, press the third button in the middle row on the low end (left hand) and squeeze the bellows.

Compare this note to a piano, or any other instrument, or an electronic guitar tuner, or a tuner app.  Whatever note you get is the key of that row.  It is most likely to be either a C or a G, although other keys are sometimes found.

If that button is a C, then you have a C/G box.   Popular for Irish music.

If that button is a G, you have a G/D box.  More popular for English/Morris music.

Other key combinations, rather less popular, include D/A,  or B flat/F

The fingering for the middle row will almost certainly be standard for the key.

The fingering for the nearest row to the hand rests (the "inside row") is typically standard but there is some variation at the very low end (left hand, little finger).  I once had 3 boxes, and the pull note on the lowest button on the inside row was different on each.

The fingering for the "accidental row" (the one furthest from the hand rests) is where you may find the most variation.  Chances are it is more or less standard Wheatstone or Standard Jeffries.  However, many people ask for their own quirky selections of notes for one or two of the buttons.  The easiest way to find out is get someone who plays one to have a go and see how confused they look after 2 minutes.