My New Lachenal

brightfield

The Lachenal I bought from a woman in Newcastle on Tyne (via ebay) arrived this week and I'm pretty pleased with it.

I've made a photogallery of it here

I took it down to Neil at Hobgoblin, Crawley and he put two new thumbstraps on (one was missing) and fixed the one sticking reed. He opened it up and said it was the cleanest old Lachenal he'd seen. It was a treat to here him play it and - however much you play your own instrument you don't hear it as others do until someone else plays a tune on it.

I am aware that at some time in the future it needs a bit of work doing on it - two or three of the notes are a bit "slow" in response and there's the occasional flapping on the odd note here and there. But for now its a treat to play and its pretty much in tune.

The serial number 44311 seems to date it early 20th century but the vendor seemed pretty convinced it was late 19th century. I'd be grateful for any information anyone can provide about date, model etc. I might go the Horniman Museum at Easter and see what I can find out about it by comparing it with others in their collection.

I'm pleased I got it from Newcastle (my home town) as my main music is Northumbrian and Geordie tunes and I would like to think this instrument is familiar with Barrington Hornpipe and "Keep Your Feet Still Geordie Hinnie".

Tom

http://www.brightfield.org.uk

Nice one. Whatever else you may hear about those mid-range Laches, one thing they are good at, anglo and English, is sweetness of tone. My first anglo was a Lach, and after I sold it I always regretted it, so I bought another last year. My guess is that you may buy better in years to come, but you'll always keep this one for its tone.

Chris

Hi Tom

I saw this on ebay, and since I live in tyneside I arranged a viewing. I was also surprised at how clean it was inside. That and the pristine condition of the woodwork made me think it has probably spent most of the last century in its box. As far as I remeber it was not in modern pitch, but that is not a problem until you come to play with other musicians. Nice box, I was tempted myself!

Theo

Nice one. Whatever else you may hear about those mid-range Laches, one thing they are good at, anglo and English, is sweetness of tone.

Chris

Thanks Chris, for the encouragement. Its nice to know that its a reasonable instrument. I've now arranged to take it to A C Norman next week to talk about tuning and general sprucing up of the mechanics. I've grown to love the thing very rapidly and guess it'll last me my time on this planet

Tom

I think what sets this one apart is the condition of the buttons.  I would guess that it has hardly ever been played.  Although one of the cheaper models, it looks in great condition.  I assume it has brass reeds?

Yes, its got brass reeds. Amazing these tinas last so long isn't it.

T