Storing Concertina When Not Playing

Sean M

I keep mine in the case with the lid closed and latched, even between tunes if I'm in a session in the pub.  Good discipline.  It would break my heart if a drink were spilled on the bellows, or the case were to be knocked to the floor and the concertina fell out.

At home, the instruments are in their cases, stored on their sides, not on their ends, in a cool part of the house away from direct sunlight or radiators.  I practise in the kitchen (upright chairs and good acoustics) but never leave the box there (condensation and cooking smells).

5 hours ago, Mikefule said:

I keep mine in the case with the lid closed and latched, even between tunes if I'm in a session in the pub.  Good discipline.  It would break my heart if a drink were spilled on the bellows, or the case were to be knocked to the floor and the concertina fell out.

Amen to that, Mike. And not as bad as beer in the bellows, but I put my concertina down and turned my back on it for a minute at a recent session, and while I was distracted, another player picked it up and started playing it. Without asking. This annoyed me greatly. Now it never leaves my hands or goes into the case.

Edited by Halifax
typo

10 hours ago, Robin Tims said:

Inspired by this thread I decided to make a 'bellows tight strap' myself for my Wolverton C/G so that

1. It could safely sit around home  just waiting temptingly to be picked up and played

and 

2. Would more readily fit between the blocks in it's case and be easily lifted out.

I used soft webbing with 50mm long Velcro pieces glued and stitched (by my wife Marj') into place per photos.

No way a match for that terrific frame shown earlier, but still useful.

Just as good...