Sign in to follow this  
Alex West

38/46 key Jeffries Bros at Auction

Did anyone else see this Jeffries Bros concertina at auction this morning at the Plymouth Auction Rooms?  It's a curious beast which looks like a "standard" 39 key Jeffries but with extra rows of buttons slotted into the fretwork on the left and right to make a 46 key instrument (Air button's missing though)

It went for a hammer price of £2,000 which means a total cost of £2,480 before restoration - not a bad price! (Not me though - I saw it too late to register)

Alex West

96245fc0-75ed-4349-9939-aae600c0d1c5.jpg

6d26bbfd-3943-4e32-af21-aae600c0d3a0.jpg

£2600 - it was a 30% commission. Could have been a duet.... There are 44 key duet layouts out there, this was a 44 key plus a drone

Edited by Bill Crossland
Addition

We might both be right Bill; the commission depends on if you were there in person, on the telephone or using the bidding online system.  I know some of the larger Jeffries might be duets, but even some of the large button formats were always anglos - and this particular one looks to have started out - with the fretwork at least - as a standard anglo

Alex West