Concertina in Dagwood cartoon

RWL

18 hours ago, RWL said:

Dagwood makes it to Denmark?

I'm not sure about Dagwood (actually "Blondie"), but a lot of American comics do... or at least did, when there were more paper papers carrying comics.  In fact, the brother of a friend of mine used to make his living translating comics from English into Danish.  (I believe he's now retired.)  I remember him telling how impossible it could be when the English involved a pun... sometimes a multiple pun.

But these days I get most of my American cartoons and comics, including Blondie, online.

And I am, after all, a native American (not to be confused with a Native American), though I've living in Denmark for almost 25 years.

8 hours ago, JimLucas said:

...used to make his living translating comics from English into Danish...I remember him telling

how impossible it could be when the English involved a pun... sometimes a multiple pun...

Jim, I wonder how your translator friend would get on with translating The Cloggies?

cloggies1_1_.jpg.1c9b21d1e731998ded2dc5f0d157eede.jpg

Edited by lachenal74693

3 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

Jim, I wonder how your translator friend would get on with translating The Cloggies?

Probably better -- by using Danish dialect -- than trying to convey simply all the levels of meaning when Woodstock (the little bird), lost inside a suit of armor, begs Snoopy to "Please help me make it through the knight!"

59 minutes ago, Devils' Dream said:

Roger, does any film exist of the original Cloggies?  Do you know any of these original guys? (!!!!)

Er, The Cloggies was a strip cartoon by cartoonist Bill Tidy, probably best known for The Cloggies (Private Eye),

The Fosdyke Saga (Daily Mirror), and Grimbledon Down (New Scientist). I don't think there was an original model

team for The Cloggies, but there are a couple of photographs of supposed Cloggies-style teams. The whole shocking

story of T'Cloggies can be found here. I couldn't find a picture with a concertina, but they must have had some music,

so I'm betting there was a concertina in there somewhere...

One of the all-time great 'ritual' dance sides - they are much missed by those 'd'un certain age'...

Edited by lachenal74693