WTB C air button

Isel

4 minutes ago, inventor said:

Regarding bisonoric  buttons I had confused myself into thinking that you also intended to add "Midi" to the concertina.  However I see that Midi was only required in the thread that Don Taylor referred back to. I still would not  advise them on a Duet concertina. I have a couple at the top end of my large (69 button) concertina, and often play them in the wrong direction ! 

Inventor.

Forgive me for being curious but 69 buttons is a "standard "Jeffries duet count.  Are the bisonorics self- inflicted or indigenous?............?

1 minute ago, Isel said:

Effectively!. I have same doubt.

...so... @alex_holden... would not appear necessary/suitable an air button in this case of having bisonoric??  

It's probably less of a problem if your only bisonoric buttons are rarely-used high notes (i.e. which consume very little air). Some of @Little John's bisonoric buttons have low bass reeds that consume a lot of air, so without using an air button to compensate I imagine you could get into trouble rather quickly.

2 hours ago, alex_holden said:

It's probably less of a problem if your only bisonoric buttons are rarely-used high notes (i.e. which consume very little air). Some of @Little John's bisonoric buttons have low bass reeds that consume a lot of air, so without using an air button to compensate I imagine you could get into trouble rather quickly.

Actually it's no problem. The reeds are very efficient and the bellows capacious so I never use the air button in actual playing. I use it when I'm practising sometimes and want to repeat a long phrase or something like that, but not in performance. Indeed, I don't think much about the bellows. I seem to operate in the middle half of the bellows so if I suddenly come across a note that needs a push (say) when I would otherwise have changed to pull the remaining quarter of the bellows is more than enough to get me out of trouble.

LJ

On 10/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, RAc said:

Both Little John and I had commissioned Alex to build custom Cranes, and due to the "every Inch Counts" issue, both of us had to do without one or two button/reed arrangements.

Sort of, but it's not the full story. The only compromise on the Holden Crane was losing the Eb4 button on the left hand side; but that was for cosmetic rather than musical reasons. (It means the button arrangement isn't quite symmetrical.) The two bisonoric buttons I have on the left (Bb2/B2 and A2/Eb3) are a compromise of sorts, but derived from the fact that long before commissioning my Holden I'd modified standard Cranes in this way to extend the range downwards. It worked for me on those so there was no reason to change when it came to the Holden. The same reasoning goes for the C#4/B3 button on the right. I toyed with the idea of a separate button for B3 (as RAc) has but couldn't see any overall advantage for me.

Incidentally, the bisonoric buttons give me almost two octaves on the left - A2 to G4 with only C#3 missing. The right hand is fully chromatic from B3 to C6; and all this in a small, light, 44-button instrument.

LJ