Dipper F/C Anglo

The Dipper Shantyman low F/C is back at the Button Box - it's second or third go-round there, I believe.

I've played a lot of fine concertinas over the years, but nothing to compare to this beauty.  The tone is low, very organ-like, deeply resonant; the action is buttery smooth.

If I had more use for an F/C - and an extra $8000 lying around - I would buy it in an instant.

Regarding your comment Jim ( If I had more use for an  F/C ) I had a F/C box but didn't use it much as it involved carrying a extra concertina .I play in F a lot as it suits my voice but this is done using my 36 key C/G I have extra Bb and F buttons .I so envy my fellow guitarists who just Capo to change their keys .How do the rest of you get on using F .Bob

16 hours ago, Kelteglow said:

Regarding your comment Jim ( If I had more use for an  F/C ) I had a F/C box but didn't use it much as it involved carrying a extra concertina .I play in F a lot as it suits my voice but this is done using my 36 key C/G I have extra Bb and F buttons .I so envy my fellow guitarists who just Capo to change their keys .How do the rest of you get on using F .Bob

How do I get on in F?  Unhappily, mostly.  I have 30 button CGs.  Playing melody in F generally is fine; doing good chords and bass runs in F is a skill I have yet to master.

Not currently playing due to ill health, but I could play in the key of F on a C/G 30 key concertina quite comfortably, probably better than my efforts in playing in D. However, I found playing outside of the home keys needed quite a high degree of concentration. My need for playing in F was almost entirely for solo song accompaniment, where my primary concern was on the song lyrics and relating to an audience, which I found was more easily achieved when playing off of the middle row of a 30 key instrument, especially for chords and bass runs. Why F? Well it seemed to suit my limited vocal range best for the vast majority of songs I liked to sing.

My solution was to lower the pitch of a Morse Ceili by 2 semitones from G/D to F/C, achieved entirely by adding weight to the reed tips with solder. A very slight reduction in  reed response speed was an acceptable result, noticeable in attempting to play fast tunes, but that was not the purpose for which this concertina was to be used as I have other concertinas for that. So the end result was being able to play in F with fingering that I was more familiar and comfortable with, thereby allowing me greater capacity to give attention to what I considered more potentially important aspects of performance.

(Hoping to get back into a bit of playing soon, but wondering if my vocal range has changed, in which case the F/C Morse might become redundant.....Glad I haven't got $8k tied up in it!)

Playing in F, or at least tunes that are centered in F seems very achievable on a C/G, or using the G fingering on a Bb/F. The lust for the F/ C Dipper is more about the low voice of it. Tunes take on a completely different texture down in those haunting big reeds. Although I don't have a concertina in F/ C, I enjoy playing my Suttner Bb / F, or Jeffries Ab / Eb every chance I can.

I remember exploring F tunes on fiddle years ago after learning that F was a much more common key of yore.  You can go to www.slippery-hill.com for a list of downloadable F tunes.  For what it's worth, F (and also Bb) are very "handy" on the Jeff Duet, perhaps even more so than the home key of C.

Some musicians say each key has it’s own character,  some people with perfect pitch describe each note as being distinctive.  I don’t understand it, but I do find that I am particularly partial to the key of F.  For me, things seem to sound more beautiful  there than in G, even though I don’t generally transpose tunes commonly played in G.  I certainly am much more familiar with G playing but have been pleasantly surprised when I try tunes out in F.  I don’t know how true it is, but my understanding is that East Clare is known for tunes in F and Bb.

2 hours ago, Dana Johnson said:

Some musicians say each key has it’s own character,  some people with perfect pitch describe each note as being distinctive.  I don’t understand it, but I do find that I am particularly partial to the key of F.  For me, things seem to sound more beautiful  there than in G, even though I don’t generally transpose tunes commonly played in G.  I certainly am much more familiar with G playing but have been pleasantly surprised when I try tunes out in F.  I don’t know how true it is, but my understanding is that East Clare is known for tunes in F and Bb.

I know what you mean.

I'm not fond of playing in Gm on my CG - limited chording options for harmonic playing - but to my ear, Gm tunes often sound particularly pleasing.  I"m not sure why this might be - how different is Gm from Am? - but there you have it.