Sign in to follow this  
Sean M

Sticking Note

I'm in the process of saving up / deciding on getting a decent concertina and while I wait I'm playing a Chinese-built 20b concertina shaped instrument. I noticed that sometimes when I play the LH G push on the 3rd button the note continues to play after I let it go. It doesn't happen all the time but it will start for a bit and then go away and come back when I try to play the note again. I was thinking about taking it apart to investigate but first I wanted to ask about it. Would that be the reed valve? If it is and I take out the reed block and it's the push reed would that be the valve on the outside or inside of the reed block?

Sounds more like a binding button, or lever pivot, pad sort of problem.  Not knowing the construction, I can’t guess which part/s are the cause, but notes that fail to shut off When the button is released usually indicate a pad that fails to return solidly over the pad hole.  sometimes springs lose their pre load tension and while they seem ok when you press the button, may actually provide little or no pressure when the pad reaches the pad hole.  Also, pads that are coming loose or levers that tend to tip a bit sideways so the pad hits on one side first and comes to rest either partway off the hole or with one edge lifted slightly.  Often playing a draw note after the sticky one will help suck it closed while a press note following may inhibit full closure.  Binding at the button In Chinese boxes is not usually from tight bushing around the button since mostly they don’t have any.  Here, buttons that are not free to move where they attach to the lever can end up rubbing against the button hole which makes the spring have to fight friction, not just hold down the pad.  
These are the places I’d look.  Actual reed valves on the reed blocks ( for accordion type construction generally used in Chinese instruments ) generally don’t cause this symptom. Even when they come unglued and fall off the reed plate, it usually makes the note weak, or gets jammed under the reed tongue resulting in no sound at all.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the response! Glad I asked before checking it out. I'll look into the levers and pads then and see if anything seems weird for that button.

Edited by Sean M
spelling error