Wheatstone linota

Hi I have this concertina not sure what to do with 

How old it is or weather I should get it serviced or sell it 

I have enclosed a few pictures 

Edited by Cameron
Forgot pictures

Cameron,

Thanks for joining us here. Please do give the system time to show your post rather than submitting it repeatedly - I merged your three threads into this one!

My reaction is, "Learn to play it!" We should all start on such well-made instruments.

Ken

Don’t assume that it’s a Wheatstone because of the straps.  If it’s a Linota you should find that name lightly impressed into the wood that the strap is attached to.  If it says Trade Mark English Make then it’s a Lachenal.  

You (appear) to have a fine model from a well-respected maker.

Anglo concertinas are even more sought after in Ireland.

As for me, I’d hang on to it – but you have to want to learn to play I guess.

A search will a throw up a number of on/off line dealers/repairers.

Here:

http://www.concertina.co.uk/stock-selection/

may give you more idea but remember these are almost always refurbished instruments and priced accordingly.

Getting a quote for work needed from a respected repairer is almost certainly worth it whether you decide to keep or sell.

Most players of a certain age will have a story of finding a good instrument at a throw away price.

It would be a shame to become part of somebody else’s anecdote.

Good luck with it!

Arti

You can find out what key it is in by pushing the first button of the center row on your right hand side while holding the instrument in front of you with the straps over your hands. Push  your hands slightly towards each other while holding that button down. This should be the button your index finger reaches easily. If it is a C/G instrument it  should sound a C. When you are pulling your hands away from each other you will get a different note, but you don't have to worry about that right now.  On the row closest to the strap on the same side push and sound that first button. It should be a G.  If you are getting other notes you are likely in a different key.  An  older instrument may have gone slightly out of tune so it may be slightly off compared to your tuner or piano, but it should be in the neighborhood.  A C/G instrument is the most popular for Irish music.  If all the reeds sound when you push or pull that is a good thing. Don't despair if there is something rattling around inside or not all the reeds sound. If there are things rattling around inside I'd wait to test it.  Broken parts can break other parts.  Most  things are fixable.  Price will vary as to playability.  Most people will have to bring it to someone to repair, though some here could manage it themselves.  That serial number will tell you when it was made. Earlier instruments generally sound better than ones made later. But that is a generalization.