New Facebook page 'Anglo Concertina'

Willum

On 9/28/2019 at 8:52 PM, Don Taylor said:

Oh no, not another forum destroying Facebook group.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, Anglo-Irishman said:

Cnet is good enough for me!

On 9/29/2019 at 1:41 AM, Doug Anderson said:

That was my reaction as well.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed! There seems to be a blatant attempt to pre-empt/hi-jack one of the functions 

of this forum which is more than adequately fulfilled by this forum. I just used 'downvote' for the first time in 5

years. I haven't looked - and won't be(*)...

(*) Because, without signing up to Facebook, I can't.

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

Oh no, not another forum destroying Facebook group.

Are such groups really "destroying" concertina.net... or even having significant negative impact.

I don't do Facebook (or Twitter, etc.) at all.  But I wonder whether very many of those who do are abandoning concertina.net.

Meanwhile, if folks post events or other information only on Facebook, how many different "groups" would I have to be aware of in order to keep informed?

Which leads me to a suggestion about which I have mixed feelings:  Should we start a special Topic here to list all the current web sites, discussion groups, etc. dedicated to concertinas of one sort or many?  After all, we already have similar Topics for "Current makers of concertina" and "What our concertinas look like?".

3 hours ago, JimLucas said:

(1) Are such groups really "destroying" concertina.net... or even having significant negative impact.

(2) Meanwhile, if folks post events or other information only on Facebook, how many different "groups"

would I have to be aware of in order to keep informed?

(1) I think it's more about 'dilution' of the information flowing into and out of the forum, though I

fully understand the use of the word 'destroying' - I am very 'uncomfortable' with what is potentially

a fragmentation (can't think of a better word) of the community, which is why I responded so

unequivocally.

(2) I can't answer for the world of free-reedery, but I can answer that question quite specifically in

the context of another of my areas of interest - it's 10 groups - and it's a nightmare staying on top

of the game in that particular area of interest. These aren't FB groups b.t.w., they are just different

internet fora in the conventional sense...

Edited by lachenal74693

It's ironic that in the communications age it has become increasingly difficult to communicate.

I belong to a climbing club. Back in the dark ages we used to meet weekly in the pub to plan activities for the weekend.  Simple, admittedly not always convenient, but effective. Now we have to communicate everything several times via email, text, Facebook, Whatsapp etc, and even then we can't be sure of contacting everyone.

Like others, I can't quite see what this new group brings to the party.  If it were purely local, to help players in a particular area get together then I could see the point, but not just another discussion group.

4 hours ago, JimLucas said:

Are such groups really "destroying" concertina.net... or even having significant negative impact

I belong to a number of other forums that are now moribund. 

In each case someone has started a Facebook group and advertised its existence on the original group.  Folks on the original forum groaned and protested that their forum already fulfilled the need but then posts on the forum started falling off until eventually there were so few that most folks stopped bothering to login to the forum regularly.  This lead to fewer and fewer posts and more and more people not bothering. 

Meanwhile over on the Facebook group, well that did not really work either because groups are much more transient than forums, group posts are mostly transactional and it is difficult to find old posts.  Also, lots of folks simply refuse to use Facebook because of its dreadful reputation and because of its despicable CEO and only holder of voting shares.

So to the OP I would ask them to please not do this and to please explain what is missing on cnet that makes you want to create your own group.  Let us fix cnet rather than destroying it.

I would also point out that you had better be committed to being an active owner/moderator for your new Facebook group for many years to come.   I have been a forum moderator and it requires a daily commitment of your time every day.  It took me years to find someone willing to take over from me when I moved on to a new hobby.  I am very grateful to Paul for running this show for about 20 years(?) now.  Are you prepared to make that sort of commitment?

Edited by Don Taylor
Typo
  • Like 2

I will confirm that it is a daily commitment to be an admin - I've been looking in here just about every day for nearly two decades as well. [Paul started his first web page in 1996, added a self-written forum system a few years later, and shifted to the current forum software (Invision) in 2003.]

As for the internet, it has its own dynamic. People come and go out of hobbies. Many of the most active posters here 10 or 15 years ago are nowhere to be found, and a few have departed this Earth. Once, when there was some dustup about something we did here as admins (I have no recollection what, and it doesn't matter), Paul said something to the effect of, "Go and start your own concertina site." He knows better than any of us that you will either 1) find how much effort it takes being a software admin, finding funds to buy server space, and policing behavior, or 2) you will be subject to the whims of the owner of whatever free site you use. I am still in a couple of longstanding Yahoo Groups for astronomy, and there we all have a feeling we may have to set up elsewhere one of these days.

I don't see any need, or point, in telling people to stay on a particular forum - life and the world are too chaotic. Some needs, like regional or local music-interest groups, may have a good need for their own means of communication, even a simple email list. Perhaps the best way to keep a forum active is participate constructively, offer or contribute to interesting ideas and discussions, and take your turn in advising and helping newcomers with questions. Many members here already do that.

And keep playing (or dreaming about) that concertina!

Ken

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JimLucas said:

Which leads me to a suggestion about which I have mixed feelings:  Should we start a special Topic here to list all the current web sites, discussion groups, etc. dedicated to concertinas of one sort or many?  After all, we already have similar Topics for "Current makers of concertina" and "What our concertinas look like?".

I like this idea. 

15 hours ago, hjcjones said:

...I belong to a climbing club. Back in the dark ages we used to meet weekly in the pub to plan activities for the weekend....

I (used to) belong to a sailing club. Back in the dark ages we used to meet weekly in the pub to plan activities for the weekend...

...which was great because the pub used to provide free refreshments!

I bet you won't get free refreshments down at the local 'Facebook Arms'... ?

While I stand by my original statement that Cnet is good enough for me, I do see one advantage in a FB group: If some young concertina enthusist or concertina-inquisitive person lands on a concertina FB site, it would be helpful to them - and to us CNetters -  if it contained a notice to the effect that many concertinists are older, conservative folks who don't frequent FB, and if you want a wealth of information from experienced players, makers, collectors, teachers and simply enthusiasts of the concertina, you should click on the link to CNet.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, Anglo-Irishman said:

...it would be helpful to them...if it contained a notice to the effect that...if you want a wealth of information from experienced

players, makers, collectors, teachers and simply, enthusiasts of the concertina, you should click on the link to CNet.

This is the case on the Reddit/concertina forum, where there is a long list of such links (including CNet) at the RHS of the top-level page.

Edited by lachenal74693