Bandoneon vs accordeon sound

To my ears, the bandoneon sound is "livelier," more "raw" sounding than a cba accordeon, which sounds "smoother," more "homogeneous" to me. Could someone who is knowledgeable about how construction/materials affects sound point me in the direction of how to explore if an accordeon could be constructed/modified to sound "lively/raw" as possible. I am aware of the hybrid c system bandoneons, but I am more interested to learn if a cba accordion can achieve a "bandoneon-like" sound (beyond simply using LM reeds). Thank you for any help.

Jim

There is one factor about the construction of the Bandoneon which alters the timbre. This is placing the reeds on continuous rather than individual reed plates. 

Russian "Bayan" accordions are also constructed in this way which gives the timbre that Russians favor.  I suggest you find someone who plays a Russian Bayan and see if this is what you are looking for.

I once had a concertina made in Moscow by a bayan accordion maker which had all the reeds of each side on a single plate. This instrument had a timbre much closer to the sound of a traditional concertina than a hybrid accordion reeded concertina. 

Inventor.  

Edited by inventor
Left a couple of words out of reply

20 hours ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

I have a Hornet Presswood D/G that is Bandoneon tuned (octave) and is rather close to my bandoneons in sound.  I’m assuming that you’re not thinking the Einheitsbandoneon that has 3 reeds per note and a slight tremolo but rather the 2 reeds per note versions?

Thank you. I may look in that, but for now I am curious to know If a cba accordion and be constructed/modified to sound more like a bandoneon.

2 hours ago, inventor said:

There is one factor about the construction of the Bandoneon which alters the timbre. This is placing the reeds on continuous rather than individual reed plates. 

Russian "Bayan" accordions are also constructed in this way which gives the timbre that Russians favor.  I suggest you find someone who plays a Russian Bayan and see if this is what you are looking for.

I once had a concertina made in Moscow by a bayan accordion maker which had all the reeds of each side on a single plate. This instrument had a timbre much closer to the sound of a traditional concertina than a hybrid accordion reeded concertina. 

Inventor.  

Thank you. I have someone locally to ask about that. I am also curious if the size of the box, its construction (materials, thickness, placement of the reeds), type of reeds, etc. I have a friend who plays cba accordion and bandoneon. Even though he is better as an accordion player, when he plays the bandoneon it's distinctive voice is quite striking.