Jump to content

Pending visit to US/Canada - should I be concerned?


SteveS
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm travelling to Seattle, and then Vancouver, in about 12 days time.  I'm going to meet up with Scandi dancers and musicians in Seattle and Vancouver.

I'd thought to take my Aeola TT.

With thoughts of CITES, should I be concerned about the import of my 'tina into US and Canada?

The 'tina has ebonised ends, probably of pear wood veneer - but will this cause any consternation at customs?

What experiences have other people had at US/Canadian border controls?

Thanks.

Edited by SteveS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just answer their questions respectfully and as simply as possible and do not elaborate your answers unless asked.

 

Do not crack jokes. 

 

Describe your instrument as a small accordion. 

 

Bring proof of ownership (receipt) in case you are asked for one, not likely but possible.

 

Be prepared to play a short tune.  I have never been asked about CITES stuff, but US customs have always asked if I intend to sell the instrument in the States and answering yes to that question can lead to a bureaucratic nightmare.  Be ready with an answer as to why you brought the instrument with you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Halifax said:

Are you going to perform for pay? If you are playing in concerts and you're getting paid, they will expect you to have a well-defined work visa. I know my Canadian friends who tour in the US have to prepare buckets of paperwork before they go.

No, purely amateur and unpaid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devils' Dream said:

If you REALLY want to be prepared, be ready to open it up, i.e. prove nothing hid inside.  Had this happen to me ONCE with trusty Pokerwork returning Boston (pre-cannabis law) from Amsterdam. (!)  Easy enough to pull the pins.  Not so convenient on concertina.

I usually carry a small toolkit with a screwdriver - I usually make sure that its in my checked-in bag ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, SteveS said:

I'm travelling to Seattle, and then Vancouver, in about 12 days time.  I'm going to meet up with Scandi dancers and musicians in Seattle and Vancouver. 

I'd thought to take my Aeola TT.

With thoughts of CITES, should I be concerned about the import of my 'tina into US and Canada?

 

Personally, I've never had anyone from Customs even ask about my concertina, not even when I'm carrying it separately.  And they've never asked to examine my bags, not even when I listed that I was carrying foodstuffs (though on the "allowed" list; e.g., smoked salmon).  I don't list that I'm carrying CITES-restricted stuff, because I'm not.  And all my items are "personal property", not for sale.

 

On 9/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, Devils' Dream said:

If you REALLY want to be prepared, be ready to open it up, i.e. prove nothing hid inside.  Had this happen to me ONCE with trusty Pokerwork returning Boston (pre-cannabis law) from Amsterdam.

 

That sounds to me like the Security check, not Customs.  FWIW, I've never been asked to open my instrument, though I've occasionally received a "yes" answer when I've offered to play it.  The result has always been appreciation.  8^)

 

On 9/21/2019 at 5:18 PM, SteveS said:

I usually carry a small toolkit with a screwdriver - I usually make sure that its in my checked-in bag 

 

Again, that's a Security issue, not a Customs issue.  Yep.  Keep it out of your carry-on.  I once forgot and had my toolkit in my carry-on.  Copenhagen to Stansted, no problem.  Stansted to Glasgow, no problem.  Glasgow to Stansted, no problem.  (Didn't use it in Scotland and had forgotten it was there.)  Stansted to Copenhagen... oops!  "You can't carry that on board."  The Security guy was nice, though.  He let me go buy an envelope and stamps and post it home to myself.  But I wouldn't expect that generosity.

 

Why do they make you remove stuff from your carry-on after you've checked your other bags?

 

Have a great trip!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, d.elliott said:

As far as cites is concerned  have a statement of instrument age.  

 

A "statement" from whom?

 

Since it's an Aeola, its date of origin should be in the Wheatstone ledgers, so you could print out a copy of the relevant page.  (And have the web site information with you, in case they want to check that it really is a public document, not some sort of forgery.)

 

Unless it's from the "missing" period?  Then print out pages from before and after (especially after) that period, to show that it was made before the middle of 1910.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JimLucas said:

 

A "statement" from whom?

 

Since it's an Aeola, its date of origin should be in the Wheatstone ledgers, so you could print out a copy of the relevant page.  (And have the web site information with you, in case they want to check that it really is a public document, not some sort of forgery.)

 

Unless it's from the "missing" period?  Then print out pages from before and after (especially after) that period, to show that it was made before the middle of 1910.

Thanks Jim - a good idea - I may just print out the ledger page and keep in the bottom of my 'tina case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...