Wheatstone Miniature on ETSY

saguaro_squeezer

• 1 month later...

Will ebay keep the prices of sold items? I suspect not; otherwise parasitic software could comb those listings and try to establish market values of frequently traded products, which would sort of undermine the idea of an auction (and thereby minimize ebays profits).

btw, I know why I hate, loathe, abhor and despise (any order is fine) automated translations.  What an insult to the ear, eye and brain. Then again, if humans are so stupid to delegate something as inherently human as language to computers, they (humans) do not deserve anything better.

37 minutes ago, RAc said:

Will ebay keep the prices of sold items? I suspect not; otherwise parasitic software could comb those listings and try to establish market values of frequently traded products, which would sort of undermine the idea of an auction (and thereby minimize ebays profits).

btw, I know why I hate, loathe, abhor and despise (any order is fine) automated translations.  What an insult to the ear, eye and brain. Then again, if humans are so stupid to delegate something as inherently human as language to computers, they (humans) do not deserve anything better.

Rüdiger, I didn’t choose to have this advert translated (wouldn’t need to re the English tongue, but hardly would use this particular „service“ for any language), just stumbled over it on my smartphone screen... („Stahl Schilf“ was not new to me however, but the literal translation of the Wheatstone moniker).

Best wishes - ?

Wolf, my remark was never intended as a personal attack towards you or any real person. I'm sure you share my sentiments about this atrocity, and I do not doubt that there is no need for you to rely on a translation for either yourself or the forum! Thanks for providing an opportunity to bring up a pet peeve of mine!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimLucas said:

I've always wondered why people keep peeves as pets.  They're generally far more trouble than they're worth.  ;)

valid point. The reason why we do is that we can feed them our garbage which (depending on how you look at it) may qualify as a win-win situation, no? <_<