Rod Pearce

Advice sought on multi source Anglo

I have just purchased an instrument described as a  Lachenal 30 key Anglo as a keeper for myself, fully expecting it to require some work.

On opening it up I find that the reed pans each contain 16 reeds , but there are only 15 buttons  per side (excluding the  air button). Both have different numbers stamped on them.and both are different to the number in the action box bezel.  So, parts from 3 different instruments. There is also an inscription inside saying the instrument has been repitched to B flat.from C. I want the instrument to be in C, so will have to retune it.

All components do seem to be in good condition, except for wear and tear. eg it needs new pads, valves

Should I be concerned, or just go ahead with the renovation?

Bearing in mind that the reeds have already been tuned down by two semitones, tuning them back up again is going to be a risky process... there may simply not be enough steel at the reed tips, especially the smallest ones. 

Rod,

Since you have been inside it, you must have one or more serial numbers. If you please?

Dowright

Because of the issues I deceided to return the instrument, but took photographs beforehand.

The number in the Action box bezel is 149241

Right hand reed pan is 188108

Left hand reed pan is 198854

Dave

Thanks for your advice. I have decided not to risk it and have agreed with the seller to return the instrument. I am really disappointed because I was looking forward to getting to grips with my first 30 key anglo

You might consider one of the new Blackthorn concertinas on a 30 day trial.