WTB Crane Concertina with chevron layout – 42 – 55 buttons

Peter Smith

I am looking for a Crane concertina with a chevron layout of the buttons – rather than the curved Butterworth set up.

I have a large Crabb Crane with 67 buttons with the chevron layout (see picture) but it’s not very portable due to its size. I am looking to buy a second, smaller Crane with the same layout with between 42 & 55 buttons. My preference would be for a Crabb (or Wheatstone, if they ever made them) but would be interested to see what is available.

If you have such a Crane that you are looking to sell, please get in touch. My preference would be to buy from the UK but I'm open to purchasing from abroad.

Peter 

Crabb Crane - Chevron layout.jpg

23 minutes ago, cassqueeze said:

My wife has a Lachenal  triumph Crane in excellent condition for sale. She is asking £2,450. Please see attached picture. Location Devon UK

Crane concertina pic.jpeg

Looks really good. I assume it’s a 55 button Crane.

Could you comment or send me an end on photo? From the photo, it looks like the curved arrangement of buttons, rather than the chevron layout I am seeking.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter, 

Yes it is a 55 button Crane, but curved arrangement of buttons. I looked at my own Crabb Crane and I can see that they do appear more like the chevron than a curve. Incidentally in your machine is the bottom button of the middle row B below the C to the left?  I don't have a button there on mine. 

I have played my wife's duet from time to time and though there is a slightly different feel to the curved layout I've not actually found it a problem.

Cheers, 

Colin

Thanks. I have a friend with a Wheatstone Crane with the curved layout, so maybe I will give that a try.

On my Crane, the middle button at the bottom is a B and the outlier on the right is a B flat - both just under middle C.

The other button on the right is the air button.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

When you've looked at your friend's Crane, if you are still interested it might be best to email me direct at bonnygreencolin@gmail.com with a copy to my wife, Sonja, at bonnygreengarden@gmail.com as I shall be out of the country for a couple of weeks from next Monday. She is aware of your interest!

Cheers, 

Colin