Hard-core Anglo player puts toe in English water...

Roger Hare

At my fortnightly session last Saturday, t'other concertina player turned up with her Lachenal English,as well as her

Marcus C/G Anglo. I sat and watched (and listened to) her switching effortlessly between the two for 3 1/2 hours.

Very impressive. So much so that I'm borrowing my brother-in-law's Concertina Connection English to give it a whirl.

Question: Can anyone recommend a decent tutor? I know that Dick Miles has published a couple of books, and there's

something in Dave Mallinson's catalogue.

Can anyone recommend any of these, or suggest other options. Is there anything on-line (preferably downloadable

like Alan Day's Anglo tutorial, for instance. I hate sitting connected to the internet for days at a time...:mellow:)?

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes later: Ah! I just found and downloaded Alistair Anderson's Concertina Workshop. I missed it first time round.

That should take me a few steps along the road...

Edited by lachenal74693

I've traveled the route in the opposite direction, and am loving my switching between the different concertina worlds.

I did not use a tutor, neither for the English nor the Anglo, but having said that, the instructions by Alistair Anderson are certainly a good choice.

Enjoy your English experience - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo
  • Like 1

If you can find a copy, I would recommend Richard Carlin's book "The English Concertina" - beautifully clear with some really interesting tunes, and good technical tips too. The book has been long out of print but it is still possible to pick up second-hand copies with a bit of searching. See here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Concertina-Richard-Carlin/dp/0825601894

The original version of the book had a floppy vinyl 45 rpm gramophone disk inside (this was before the days of CDs!), but I think you'd be lucky to find a copy which still had the disk and anyway, the quality was not really very good! But the book is excellent.

Edited by Steve_freereeder

On 8/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, Steve_freereeder said:

...I would recommend Richard Carlin's book "The English Concertina"...

That's very helpful - thank you.

I think I may have seen a copy at some time - I certainly remember having seen the

striking 'Beardie with the Braces' cover photograph somewhere. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks again.

Roger.

2 minutes later: I see there's also a new copy available for £660.28! A bit out of my

league, I'm afraid. I think some-one must be 'avin a larf...:)

Later still: "...The original version of the book had a...gramophone disk inside (this was before

the days of CDs!)...lucky to find a copy which still had the disk..." There seems to be a CD from

2012 - if I find a copy of the book, I'll invest in a copy of the CD...

Edited by lachenal74693

On 8/30/2019 at 3:27 PM, lachenal74693 said:

I certainly remember having seen the

striking 'Beardie with the Braces' cover photograph

You always get to see the pic (even lots of them) when searching „concertina“ (or maybe „english concertina“) on an eBay site... ?

As an anglo player who reads music I got a fine intro to English with Alistair Anderson's book (it is a personal fit of course). Fascinating, but haven't done much more since - so many instruments, so little time...

Ken

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

For me, by far and away the best EC tutor is the one by Richard Butler tutor, available as a pdf

download at concertina.com if memory serves.

Appears to be Frank, not Richard, but yes - downloaded. Thank you!