2005 Winter Noel Hill School In Ireland

I just returned home from Ireland last night after attending the 2005 Winter Noel Hill Irish Concertina School in Ireland. The two weeks I spent there related to this event were great and will be long remembered.

The bulk of the class group attended The Gathering in Killarney where Noel put on a tremendous hour-long event closing performance that had the audience absolutely entranced. After the Gathering concluded we relocated to Ballyvaughan in North Clare for the instructional phase and during our time there the group made two trips to Corofin to attend multiple concerts and recitals, including one that had Chris Droney, Edel Fox and Noel Hill each offering solo performances to a very appreciative audience.

Of course Noel didn't overlook that we had come to Ireland for instruction and so provided us all with lots to work on in the coming months and gave us good reason to practice between class sessions.

The last days included a visit to Noel's home and various area tours hosted by Noel during which he offered a very unique and in depth perspective on the culture, history and music of Ireland.

I'll be writing a detailed account of the experience and when that's complete I'll post a note here. In the meantime, I've placed a 2005 class photo on my website

Bruce

(Edited to update the link to the website photo)

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

Guest Peter Laban
<_< At least that explains why he didn't show up for his regular classes in Ennis last week. (in fairness: he had Hugh Healy taking over).

Enjoyed your pictures.  You only looked a little bit like the church lady in that one shot.  Church lady does the Noel Hill Concetina Workshop...I like it.  "Well Mr. Hill, isn't that special....could it be....Satan!"

I suppose there are worse people I could resemble...

For years I've had it in mind to be handsome and highly attractive to members of the opposite sex, but things seem to have gone off-course. Dogs and cats seem to like me though, so at least I've something to be grateful for.

You need to attend one of these Ireland classes Mark, with your perspective I can tell you'd fit right in with the group.

Bruce

Henk is indeed correct. <_< I was seduced by the dark side some 20 + years ago. In my own defense however, I often listen to Noel's renditions when I want to get "book and verse" on a new 'chun. His concertina reel inspired me greatly.

I was a total failure at the Anglo. That cross fingerin'...just more than me noggin' could fathom. :(

It looks as if it was a rip roaring blast.

Edited by Mark Evans

I don't know if Mark has the interest, but the English is certainly welcome in the classes.

We've had one person present both years in the Ireland class that plays the English and she does quite well. There are times when she's confounded by certain ornaments because of the different nature of the instrument and has to come up with alternates but she it works out.

I know of two people that attended summer classes with Noel in the states last year that played the English, so it's by no means unheard of. While they can't benefit from Noel's Anglo fingering advice, much of his instruction has to do with phrasing and achieving the correct sound/duration of notes so that applies no matter which instrument is used.

It is important to note that Noel doesn't teach basic playing technique for the English, so anyone that might consider attending one of his classes with one should already have a solid playing foundation and be looking for coaching in learning to emulate his musical style and rather unique sound.

Personally, I find having an English player in the class to be diverting; it broadens the experience for all. It's also occasionally irritating when they whip through some passage of notes that I find difficult because of the bellows changes and fingering involved.

Bruce

Enjoyed your pictures.  You only looked a little bit like the church lady in that one shot.  Church lady does the Noel Hill Concetina Workshop...I like it.  "Well Mr. Hill, isn't that special....could it be....Satan!"

Bruce, I think Mark was talking about me. In the 458 pictures I took I made a comment that I looked like The Church Lady in one of them. I'm still working on captioning all the pics, but for those curious, they can be found here:

http://www.crusheddreams.com/roy/gallery/ireland

The picture in question:

IMG_3719.thumb.jpg

Yes, Roy does appear to resemble the church lady in that particular photo. Hum...

English players...ya' see we can't be trusted ta' the details in proper order. In an' out, Bruce er' Roy... tis' all the same. Then a' course ya' sobers up <_< .

Everything looks so beautiful there and the members of the class look like they are having the time of their lives. Very nice.