New reeds

9 hours ago, alex_holden said:

It's readily available (try eBay) in the form of dry granules that you dissolve in water to make a stiff gel and then warm up to liquify it. If you're working with it frequently a thermostatic electric glue pot is very convenient, but for occasional use you can make do with an improvised bain marie and a thermometer. Some people complain about the smell; after working with it for years I don't even notice it any more unless I stick my nose right in the pot.

Thanks Alex, experience showing through! I'll try that.

I've also opened the other side to discover that two of the reeds I have a screw loose and one of the reeds have dislodged. Difficult to sort out myself or just impossible?

3 hours ago, Irish Newbie said:

And just as things might look manageable, two screws (one in each shoe), have sheered leaving part of the screw in the hole! Grrrr!

That's a bit of a pain to fix but not impossible. Unfortunately you can't get matching new screws so it's necessary to redrill and tap for a modern equivalent size.

4 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

was it you who unfastened the screws holding the reed? I almost certainly wouldn't do that myself under any circumstances...

No Wolf, it certainly wasn't me, the screws have sheared. I did however loosen one screw but the reed had already dislodged complete. Not sure how I can get the old half of the screw out as there is not sufficient to grip with plyers etc.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, alex_holden said:

That's a bit of a pain to fix but not impossible. Unfortunately you can't get matching new screws so it's necessary to redrill and tap for a modern equivalent size.

Oh Alex, Alex, Alex. If only you knew my ability you'd have some laugh!

I suspect to do the above I'd need a drill in a 'vice with a lever' rather than the standard hand held version of the drill. (Any concertina makers/restorers must just be cringing reading this).