New reeds

1 hour ago, Irish Newbie said:

I'm not sure what you mean by ITM though

I assumed that being an 'Irish Newbie' you would want to play 'Irish Traditional Music' which is a very fast bouncy style (eg. jigs and reels) that would be a challenge on a tutor EC.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, Don Taylor said:

I assumed that being an 'Irish Newbie' you would want to play 'Irish Traditional Music' which is a very fast bouncy style (eg. jigs and reels) that would be a challenge on a tutor EC.

ITM doh! You really can tell I'm a newbie ?. Yes indeed I'm interested in playing Irish Traditional Music. I did at one time think an EC would be easier than the Anglo but I'm over that hump now of the different notes in different directions.

On 8/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, Wolf Molkentin said:

It‘s a common acronym meaning „Irish Traditional Music“, played in a specific and well-established style, usually on a CG Anglo, as far as concertinas are concerned.

Thanks Wolf, just proving my newness ?. Should have read posts for a few months before posting!

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, Theo said:

If your plan is to keep costs down then new reeds should be the last thing you consider, they are the most valuable  part of the instrument. If the rest of the instrument is beyond repair, the reeds are the parts most worth keeping as spare parts.

Thanks Theo, having inspected a little closer but without opening it, I get the feeling that it's the springs that are the biggest problem. Some of the keys stick in and several notes can be heard on the push and pull!

On 8/22/2019 at 2:33 AM, Don Taylor said:

Take the ends off and post lots of photographs of the innards and the outards then you might get some good advice on what needs fixing and how to do it.  Right now everyone is guessing at what you need to do.

Ok, so now we're down the rabbit hole!

Taken the end off one side and it looks like this.

1566840537371-724291624.jpg

On 8/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, Don Taylor said:

Dave' Elliot's Concertina Maintenance Manual before doing any work on this box.  

How about some pictures of the reeds?

Anyway, the action looks fixable.  Everything you need to know can be found in Dave's book.

I will stick my neck out -  I owned a Rock Chidley ec, 48 button, 5 fold bellows, tutor style. It was in great condition, having been professionally  restored. It had nickel silver reeds, which may be what you have there. I only play itm.

My experience was that the 'tina was very quiet,  and very hard to play at "beyond hymn" speed. I persevered with my learning for a while, even though my best friend and mentor declared that the concertina was "a dog". Eventually a reed broke, ( documented on this forum) at which point I traded it in for a mid-range Lachenal. After 9 months with the Lachenal I am now ready for an upgrade to something more suited to my style of music. I have played a few posh concertinas now, and there is very clear difference in playability between entry level instruments and those above.

So my advice is that the Rock Chidley may be hard work for high bpm music. For playing slow, sweet and quietly it might be ideal.

Edited by Tiposx