Buying First Concertina...help!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a first approximation, wrist straps = anglo; thumb straps and little-finger rests = English.

Wrist straps can also mean "duet". Generally speaking, if it has handstraps and plays different notes for each key on the push/pull, then it is an anglo, handstraps and same note on push/pull it's a duet.

Please guys, hand straps and wrist straps are very different things.

Point taken about the strap terminology -- slap on hand (or wrist) duly accepted. :)

I just had to go for four nested quotes even if I had nothing to say...

Chris

Rookie/Marty -- You really have to make up your mind. In a previous post you stated "... I know that I want an English concertina." Then you ask about Parrot Anglos. An Anglo is not an English.

BTW, where do you live? There may be a concertina hermit in your neighborhood.

Hiya Wayne,

It very well may be a golden retriever. I picked it because it looks like my cocker spaniel and I am too inept to post my own picture. I got it off this forum. Glad your dog likes your concertina playing. My spaniel doesn't mind my playing, but my bichon friese howls. REALLY REALLY HOWLS. I prefer to bel :rolleyes: ieve he is singing along. (Notwithstanding the pained look in his eyes!)

Helen :rolleyes:

Hey...I'm still trying to be flexible, open-minded and realistic here... I want to do the best I can while still maintaining a modicum of restraint and understanding that I have the right to change my mind or consider alternatives. I'd still like to go with the Jackie or similar though. Either that or go for broke on a duet...:)

I live very near Pittsburgh, PA Tom...and are the Parrots any good?? I know they are Anglos. What is it like compared to a Bestler or similar?

Marty

Edited by rookie1337

Marty,

At one point you said this:

I wanted a 20 button Anglo...that help?

I have one that I was thinking of selling on eBay for a low starting bid ($10) and no reserve. I paid $100 for it at a local music store (when I knew nothing about concertinas, and before I learned that others called the store owner a "crook"). It never was worth the price I paid. Even when it was new, I had to have it tuned.

My conscience prevents me from selling it for more than $40 (unless it is on ebay, since it would be the fault of the chump who runs the bidding higher than that).

It's one of those chinese-made ones. Here is a photo attached.

Oh, yeah, it is a C/G 20-button Anglo, made with some kind of accordion reeds.

post-4-1064975295.jpg

Edited by AlexCJones

If I went for an Anglo, I think it would have to be a 30 button...still not sure about what I should do yet I guess. I'm hoping that this thread will continue and it will help educate me a bit so that when I make a decision, it will be the correct one...in the short run anyway.

Again....any comments or assistance are welcome and appreciated.

Marty

Edited by rookie1337

You only HAVE to have 30 buttons if you have to play in keys other than G and C. If you learn on a 20 button you can easily transition to 30 because the G and C rows will still be the same. The added outside row gives you sharps and flats so you can play in other keys.

Rex....

I know that...that is why I do want a 30 key to begin with.... I know I'll be playing in keys other than G and C just from the material I'd like to play.

You can usually get a 30 button Chinese made Anglo for around $100 on ebay from JDyer. They are crappy but it's about as cheap as you can find them. As others have said the difference is huge between these and the more expensive models but they are playable. Howie

Again, I appreciate the help I've been given here. Thanks for helping someone new to this instrument. It has been quite informative and I've been given resources to help me make decisions about how I want to go about purchasing an instrument and what the best choices may be for me given the parameters in which I wish to use the instrument.

I think it comes down to either a decent 30 button anglo or english. I don't think there's any way at all that a duet would be in my price range, which is only up to $250, even though a duet would probably best suit my projected use of the instrument. I haven't really seen any duets for sale and I think the cost may prove to be prohibitive. I think the Jackie would be a good option too, although I don't have any feedback from anyone who's tried or purchased one. I have heard rave reviews for the company selling it. It costs $230.00 including shipping and a tutorial and includes full credit for a future trade. The other option is trying to find an english or 30 button anglo via auction which is somewhat of a shot-in-the-dark without the assistance of folks like those on this board who seem to be quite knowledgable and generous with advice.

Please accept my thanks for your assistance to this point and I ask for your perseverance in the next few weeks as I continue to try to determine the best course of action. Again, any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Marty

Can anyone give me some input on a concertina I'm looking at on EBay? It's number is 2561170529 and the seller says that the brand is Maestro. Any thoughts? I think it's an English but it may be a an Anglo.

Marty

Edited by rookie1337

Can anyone give me some input on a concertina I'm looking at on EBay? It's number is 2561170529 and the seller says that the brand is Maestro. Any thoughts? I think it's an English but it may be a an Anglo

It is a 30-key Anglo.

It might be an okay one to start out with. But, if someone bids it up higher than $200, then would you be interested a Riccordi (Bastari) 30-button Anglo in C/G?

(photo attached).

post-4-1065068397.jpg

You only HAVE to have 30 buttons if you have to play in keys other than G and C. If you learn on a 20 button you can easily transition to 30 because the G and C rows will still be the same. The added outside row gives you sharps and flats so you can play in other keys. 

That's only if you just play melodies without the chord accompaniment. If you want to use chords on the left hand, then a 30-key is a must, since the low F to make the strong F major chord on the draw is in the top row, and there are also the reverse A/G keys in the top row allowing you to make an A minor on the push.