Buying First Concertina...help!

Now that I'm pretty sure about application issues and such, I know that I want an English concertina. Actually, a duet would be better for what I want but I don't think I'll realistically be able to get into a duet for my initial foray into this endeavor. So...here's the sticky part. Do I wait for awhile until I can afford to get the Jackie, or do I try to land an English via a dealer out of my area or through auction at EBay. There is a Regoletta English up on EBay right now as well as a Maestro that may be able to be had cheaply...that is under $150. Another option is to query the people who frequent this board if they have an English to sell...or maybe even a duet at a reasonable price. I haven't seen a duet under $500 so I'm assuming that it's just outside of possibility right now.

I really appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far from my inquiries both on and off the forum and I warmly welcome any further assistance or guidance that can be provided.

Marty in Pittsburgh, PA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Regoletta English up on EBay right now as well as a Maestro that may be able to be had cheaply...that is under $150.

I found the "Regoletta" listing ... eBay item no. 2561314318 ... and it's not an English concertina, it's a 30-button anglo in unknown keys.

I couldn't find a concertina listing with Maestro in the name. Who would have guessed that any any given moment there are over 3,000 items listed on eBay with "Maestro" in either the title or description? But if you post an eBay item number, I'm sure someone here will be happy to offer you an opinion on it.

I don't think you'll find a dealer in any area selling any type of English for less than the Jackie ... unless you're buying a sack o' parts.

And there are enough knowledgeable people buying concertinas on eBay that you're highly unlikely to find a playable English there in your price range ... unless, by stroke of luck, you come across a listing that is overlooked by everyone else shopping there because it's devoid of the right key words ("concertina," "squeezebox," etc.) or has them grossly misspelled.

The Ebay # on the Maestro is 2561170529. I emailed the seller and was told that the brand is Maestro.....whether it's a 30 button Anglo or is an English, I guess I don't know.

There is also a Stradi there #2561788403 that may be interesting, but I can't tell what it is at this point. Any assistance out there?

Marty

Edited by rookie1337

<_<

I too am new to concertinas.

I have done a lot of reading and confess to being somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of information out there.

Like most things, one has to 'pee or get off the pot' so to speak so plunged in where othersmay fear to tread. :D

To this end, right or wrong, as a starting point, I recently bought a 1905 Italian made Silvertone Anglo 20 button concertina in mint condition for reasonable cost (to risk). :)

Time will tell where I want to go with my musical experience.

I would like to learn more about this company and instrument if anyone would care to share information.

post-4-1064934818.jpg

By the way Helen, is that a beautiful Golden Retriever pic I see?

I have had Golden's for many years.

One of whom would sit beside me and howl when I played (don't think through pain as he would come and find me whenever I struck up a tune).

An audience of one (albeit dog) is still an audience. :P

Wayne

Newbie, et al., if you're bound and determined to buy a concertina on eBay, watch for instruments offered by cocoa111. That's Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas. He is a competent and honest dealer and has sold some very nice beginner's instruments there at very reasonable prices.

But to save time, why don't you just contact him at: http://www.concertina.co.uk/English-Concertinas.htm

Good luck -- Tom

The Ebay # on the Maestro is 2561170529. I emailed the seller and was told that the brand is Maestro.....whether it's a 30 button Anglo or is an English, I guess I don't know.

There is also a Stradi there #2561788403 that may be interesting, but I can't tell what it is at this point. Any assistance out there?

The Maestro is an anglo.

To a first approximation, wrist straps = anglo; thumb straps and little-finger rests = English.

if you're writing the seller of any of these eBay instruments, ask if all the buttons play the same note on press and draw. if they don't, it's not an English.

The "Stradi" appears to be a chemnitzer concertina, a type favored among some ethnic communities (Polish especially) in the upper Midwest U.S. I believe there are few, if any, people on this board with significant knowledge of chemnitzers. You can find information about them at ConcertinaMusic.com.

To a first approximation, wrist straps = anglo; thumb straps and little-finger rests = English.

Wrist straps can also mean "duet". Generally speaking, if it has handstraps and plays different notes for each key on the push/pull, then it is an anglo, handstraps and same note on push/pull it's a duet.

Ungenerally speaking it could be a chemnitzer, bandoneon, or flavor thereof.

...ask if all the buttons play the same note on press and draw. if they don't, it's not an English.

Or if all but a couple of buttons play the same note in both directions, it might be an English (or a duet) with a couple of cracked reeds. But if all or most play different notes, then it's some form of anglo.

Wrist straps can also mean "duet". Generally speaking, if it has handstraps and plays different notes for each key on the push/pull, then it is an anglo, handstraps and same note on push/pull it's a duet.

Please guys, hand straps and wrist straps are very different things. I've yet to see anyone play an anglo or duet with the hand strap around their wrist. Some English concertinas, on the other hand, do have auxiliary *wrist* straps.

The "Regoletta" is a Bastari, ca 1980; probably in C/G.

Not a bad instrument for a beginner, but the rubber sleeves holding the buttons to the valve levers will have to be replaced.

Cheers,

Geo

The problem is that it will be problematic to have work done on a concertina as there is nobody in the area capable of servicing the concertina...so I really must get a new one or one in almost perfect condition.

Marty

Please guys, hand straps and wrist straps are very different things.

Point taken about the strap terminology -- slap on hand (or wrist) duly accepted. :)

Edited by Michael Reid

The problem is that it will be problematic to have work done on a concertina as there is nobody in the area capable of servicing the concertina...so I really must get a new one or one in almost perfect condition.

Marty, very few players in North America live "in the area of" a competent concertina technician. That's what the Postal Service/FedEx/UPS are for.

Marty

The Maestro looks like a 30-button Anglo. The Stradi looks like a bandoneon.