Gorwel

Alawon Cymreig / Welsh Tunes

Posted (edited)

I've tried doing an archive search of the forum but haven't come up with much. I was just wondering if any of you had been playing Welsh tunes and which ones you found worked well on an Anglo? 

Ones I've made some headway with are:

Môn in C (rather than the usual session D as I only have a C/G concertina at present).

Meillionen in C

Y Dydd in G

Diolch yn fawr! Thanks!

Edited by Gorwel
typo!

31 minutes ago, Gorwel said:

(rather than the usual session D as I only have a C/G concertina at present).

You know, there are ways.. Thousands of people play in D on a C/G anglo.

29 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

You know, there are ways.. Thousands of people play in D on a C/G anglo.

It might depend on how much harmony the OP is inclined to include in his playing, Peter...

Best wishes - 🐺

• Like 1

Yep, I appreciate that Peter, and I have a couple of mixolydian ones, but, if you are leading a session, and the tune needs lots of C#s...

I'm not just asking about C/G tunes anyway as I'm saving up for a C#. 🙂

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gorwel said:

I've tried doing an archive search of the forum but haven't come up with much. I was just wondering if any of you had been playing Welsh tunes...

The tune library at The Rude Mechanicals web site contains some Welsh tunes in the form of dots and ABC (easy to transpose).

You'll need to search through the list, and my experience is that some of the ABC scripts might need a little tweaking to get them

to play properly.

Downloadable book: Edward Jones’ Musical and Poetical Relicks of the Welsh Bards, 1794 - mostly text but contains some scores.

Also in the archives of the National Library of Scotland - one of my favourite locations for looking for 'old music'.

There's supposed to be a collection of Welsh tunes on The Session, but I couldn't find it...

My sister and family are on their annual 6-week pilgrimage at the moment, just outside Holyhead - they love it!

Edited by lachenal74693

Thank you! Hope the weather holds out for your family - I'm up here on Ynys Môn too.

Maybe I should have worded the question with emphasis on which ones you found worked well on an Anglo. Obviously, I know that a good player can make any tune work on any instrument but I'm a beginner and was just looking for suggestions about ones which translate well to the instrument. There isn't  - as far as I know, and I've been here 60 years - a great tradition of concertina tune-playing in Wales.

Three Welsh tunes that I've found work extremely well on the 30-b Anglo, and which I play as a medley in C, Am and C are The Ash Grove, David of the White Rock and All Through the Night (I'm afraid I only have the English titles, but on the other hand I don't sing them, just play them). The tunes in C are heavily harmonised, that in Am is melodic, with a lot of expression.

A couple of other tunes that harmonise well on the Anglo (in C on the C/G) are Men of Harlech and Cwm Rhondda (including the obligatory tenor flourish over the held note  in the penultimate line of the verse).

Hope this helops,

Cheers,

John

Thanks very much, John! Yes, that's very helpful.