Beginners and Improvers on Anglo Concertina

Hello to Everyone

I am very new to this forum and not yet sure what I will be able to contribute but by way of an introduction I have for almost 30 years now been selling all things squeezeable including Accordion, Melodeon and Concertina.

I did not start in music until I was in my 30's and have always tried to help other "late comers" see that its never too late to get into playing music.

My musical journey has allowed me to rub shoulders with many of the great musicians and makers of our time and now after the twists and turns that life takes and the hand that it deals I find myself once again working with a factory in China who I believe has come up with the perfect beginners and Improvers Anglo CG Concertina.

The problem with the cheaper Chinese instruments as you will all know is that they are not really up to the job of helping people learn to play, quite often the beginner is fighting both buttons and bellows and succeeds in spite of the instrument not because of it.

So with this in mind I said to my Chinese colleagues I would let it be known that they have produced a concertina that can meet the needs of a beginner and improving player that is fit for purpose and is at very well positioned price point.

I have exhibited the prototype for several months taking it around festivals including CONSAIRTÍN The National Concertina Convention in Ennis Ireland, Chippenham Folk Festival and Sidmouth Folk Festival. It will be at both Folk East and Towersey this August 2019.

The reaction has been very good and the instrument has been well received by players whose abilities are far greater than my own.

This is an instrument  that solves many of the problems the Anglo Concertina student faces and as long as they practice and apply themselves with this instrument, in my opinion they will succeed and open the door to a world of music only the lucky ones get to see.

Should anyone wish to find out more please let me know and I will point you in that direction.

4 hours ago, accordion01 said:

Actually, there are a number of dead links (404 errors) on your home page, in particular the four links "About Us," "Delivery Information," "Privacy Policy" and "Terms and Conditions" in the bottom tab "Information." You may want to fix that asap as these are not only vital to the overall reliability impression of the shop but also legally required.

Other than that, it's always interesting to see new players in the field. Looking forward to the first reviews of your instruments!

Edited by RAc

Thanks for the update

the web person is away on holiday but the errors are on his to do list

I tried to fix them myself but best left to an expert I think

and yes there is no connection to any other Blackbird, perhaps at this early stage I should try to get the Chinese to avoid any confusion and Re brand it

Any one got a great concertina name out there? It will have to be good but I’m sure they will have an open mind

As for reviews no doubt they will come in time but two people who have had it in their hands are Chris Algar and Moshen Amini and both had good things to say regarding quality and price point.

there will be a few finding there way into the market soon as the first commercial batch arrives in the UK this week. A little bit too late for this years festivals but early for Christmas.

I look forward to any more questions or comments and will help as much as I can as we gently introduce a Concertina that I hope will encourage more people to get involved in playing music.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, RAc said:

Actually, there are a number of dead links (404 errors) on your home page, in particular the four links "About Us," "Delivery Information," "Privacy Policy" and "Terms and Conditions" in the bottom tab "Information." You may want to fix that asap as these are not only vital to the overall reliability impression of the shop but also legally required.

Other than that, it's always interesting to see new players in the field. Looking forward to the first reviews of your instruments!

Website fixes now I think 

if you seen any other problems let me know - thank you for taking the time to look

On 8/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, RAc said:

Website fixed  now I think 

if you seen any other problems let me know - thank you for taking the time to look

and finally in deference to Mr Alex Holden we decided on a name change to avoid any conflicts or clashes 

tge new new name will be 

Blackthorn

On 8/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

..... and here it seems to have resurfaced:

Chris Algar is promoting this instrument on his web site?  Color me impressed!  I look forward to eventually seeing it and trying it.

(I'm very sorry I wasn't at Whitby, but I was at a Polish maritime festival, and my training as a physicist didn't allow me to be in two places at once.)

• 8 months later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, alex_holden said:

I guess great minds think alike and all that, but for the avoidance of confusion, this new Blackbird concertina is not connected in any way with my Holden Concertinas Blackbird model.

Seems it’s hard hard to find a name not already used.  The late Herold Herrington who’s shop I’ve inherited used that very name for his concertinas.  

228189B7-B578-43B3-8FDD-9B2777DC1145.jpeg

Edited by Seth