Getting a grip

sleepymonk

2 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

(3) I rather like the idea of the detachable hand-rest adjusters - I might have a go at fettling something up...

I found the old article with photos, in case it gives you any ideas. It does show how the inserts keep my wrists straight, which is important for my own orthopedic issues, but that is very individual and may not be an issue for you.

Ken

On 8/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, wunks said:

Something else you might try is to bring the strap behind the thumb to a new attachment point so it crosses the hand close to the wrist.  I use the closest fret end bolt for an anchor (temporary, no modification required) and turn the strap end back under the base of the thumb to form a comfortable cradle.

Thanks, Wunks, for this tip. I’ve just tried it, and it’s a fantastic idea. Now I have the nice cushiony handrests (I need the extra height) and my fingers can more easily curve over the inner rows. Instant improvement.

10 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

I found the old article with photos, in case it gives you any ideas. It does show how the inserts keep my wrists straight, which is important for my own orthopedic issues, but that is very individual and may not be an issue for you.

Ken

Thanks for the link, Ken.

It looks like you used the hard foam, which is probably easier to cut & carve. I opted for the soft foam.

I’ve also moved the thumb side of the strap to the nearest long screw on both sides, and my straps are long enough that I can let them out for the extra distance. Hole #3 on the right and hole #4 on the left.

I’ve noticed that I’m holding my wrists straighter now too - thanks for pointing out that important benefit!

11 hours ago, sleepymonk said:

Thanks, Wunks, for this tip. I’ve just tried it, and it’s a fantastic idea. Now I have the nice cushiony handrests (I need the extra height) and my fingers can more easily curve over the inner rows. Instant improvement.

?

2 hours ago, Robin Tims said:

(1) ... was surprised to see on his website that Jake is discontinuing further orders for the 'Standard' hybrid model, in C/G form anyway,

though continuing with G/D's so long as he still has stocks of 'hybrid' reeds ...That seems a bit sad given their many admirers...

(2) How good to know that in the UK too, there are now a few really skilled and knowledgeable younger people following in the steps of

eg Steve Dickinson, Colin and Rosalie Dipper, and others.

(1) Yes, it's a pity - while visiting Jake to discuss my concertina-reeded instrument, I tried out a few of the hybrids which he had on the premises.

They were so good that I almost changed my mind to go for one of the hybrids, however, I stuck with the concertina-reeded instrument

and am absolutely blown away with it (took delivery in April)...

(2) I completely agree - see my comment below, made while discussing Jake's instruments in another thread. We are dead lucky in this respect

here in the U.K.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, lachenal74693 said:

...I think that we are very lucky in the U.K. to have a group of such talented craftsmen capable of constructing these instruments to such a high

standard - both 'hybrid' and 'real' concertinas. No names, no pack drill, but you all know who you are...?...

Update: another unforeseen benefit (of moving the wrist strap to another anchor point) is that I’m forced to become more adept in bellows management, since I now can’t reach the air valve with my thumb! (index finger can reach it)

44 minutes ago, sleepymonk said:

Update: another unforeseen benefit (of moving the wrist strap to another anchor point) is that I’m forced to become more adept in bellows management, since I now can’t reach the air valve with my thumb! (index finger can reach it)

Yep. the palm rest is now in the way.  Exchange it for a small saddle under the pinky/palm joint (see comments above) and you'll begin to have strange dreams of clusters of bass notes or accidentals under those liberated thumbs........?

2 hours ago, wunks said:

Yep. the palm rest is now in the way.  Exchange it for a small saddle under the pinky/palm joint (see comments above) and you'll begin to have strange dreams of clusters of bass notes or accidentals under those liberated thumbs........?

I think I better slow down the modifications ;) but thanks for the suggestion ...

• Like 1

Update: the foam grip helpers came off yesterday.

As I progressed this week, I found that the left hand foam was interfering. As for the right hand, my fingers are now nicely curved, and I can both reach the far row and the air button without the foam.

I did try an intermediary step of carving the foam away from the pinky sides to see if that helped with support.

I’ve got the left strap fastened on a fretwork anchor point and the right strap is back screwed into the hand rest. I’ve tightened the straps so they feel secure but with some wiggle room for the index & second fingers.

The scrapbook tape came away nicely, without residue.

In the violin world, there are bow hold “jigs” for beginners. I would call the foam grips a useful temporary mod for beginners, like training wheels on a bike.

Next step is to sand the left grip corner so it’s not as sharp where the strap used to anchor. It’s a bit irritating to my thumb (yes, I’ll remove the end before sanding, mask the fretwork, and do it in my woodworking shop away from the instrument).

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread!

Edited by sleepymonk
typo

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the tips on here - I have just started learning to play on a Wren 2 and found the G row very hard to play with the strap tight. I have some pipe insulation foam now on the left side handrest and it feels so much better. Still not entirely comfortable on the right hand side though - tried the foam but couldn't reach the air button with my thumb any more! Maybe I will get the hang of it without any padding...

thanks for a really helpful site everyone!

cheers

Geoff

IMG_0262.JPG