Dr Faustus' Tumblers

I found this tune in the excellent Paul Hardy tune book, but dismissed it at first as being harmonically too dull. When I came back to it a couple of months later I realised this could be turned to an advantage - it lends itself to a drone-style accompaniment. I've used open fifths throughout.

Looking for a tune to pair with it The Bonny Breast Knot came to mind largely because I had been learning it about the same time. The change in accompaniment lightens the feel and, combined with the change of key, marks a clear break between the two tunes; whilst the fact that the first note is the same as the last in Dr Faustus' Tumblers gives continuity.

LJ

• Like 4

Try Dr Faustus’ Tumblers along with The Sloe. Their first bars are identical which you might think confusing but in fact the sudden realisation in the second bar gives an element of surprise. It can cause chaos in a session if some some musicians don’t realise you’ve made the change. 

Hi Howard,

For real confusion try pairing Gathering Peascods with All in a Garden Green - the first four bars are identical! I do actually play this combination (solo) but I play the first in C and the second in G so there's some indication a change has taken place.

LJ