Sign in to follow this  
david robertson

Outstanding C/G Anglo by Shakespeare (I think!)

Posted (edited)

This is a high quality concertina which I believe to be by Thomas Shakespeare. It shares a lot of characteristics with Jeffries and Crabb instruments, and plays in much the same way - fast and fearsomely loud. The fretwork (newly re-plated and polished) is very similar to the Jeffries/Crabb pattern, but the ends are slightly raised, and as far as I know, only Shakespeare made ends like this.

I have made and fitted new 7-fold bellows, along with new pads, valves, bushings and straps. I have also replaced all of the chamois gaskets (bellows ends and reed chamber walls), tuned it to modern concert pitch, and refinished the woodwork in French polish. 

It really is a cracking player - as good an Anglo as has passed through my hands in years. As always, if you're within striking distance of Norwich, you're more than welcome to come and have a squeeze. If not, give me a call on 01603 702644, and we'll see if we can work out a way for you to try it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Asking price: £3250

20190802_093937.jpg

20190802_093857.jpg

20190802_093821.jpg

20190802_093746.jpg

20190802_093609.jpg

20190802_093656.jpg

Edited by david robertson