Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rlgph

Anyone Have a Verb?

Recommended Posts

I've been wondering about a verb to use when i'm playing my concertina.  For guitar (and some other stringed instruments, at least in the US) we use "picking".  What about concertina?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rlgph said:

I've been wondering about a verb to use when i'm playing my concertina.

 

5 minutes ago, Mikefule said:

Squeezing, playing

 

I agree with Mike.  Both of those words are commonly used, and I can't think of any other term that's common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concertining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rlgph said:

For guitar (and some other stringed instruments, at least in the US) we use "picking".  What about concertina?

 

Pumping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alex_holden said:

 

Pumping?

"I'll just go and pump the concertina" just doesn't have the same ring to it as some of the other verbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about "operate"?

 

let me operate my concertina for a while...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To misquote Lena Horne:

 

I got a new concertina
And there's nothing to it
You just sort of stand there
And just sort of do it
 
So, just do it.
 
Chris
Edited by Chris Timson
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i like squeeze best, especially with the past tense of squoze.  Twiddle is also kind of appealing, as is noodling, which pretty much describes my playing on all my instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

what about "operate"?

 

let me operate my concertina for a while... 

 

I've never used -- nor heard used -- the word "operate" for playing a concertina... nor any other musical instrument.

 

However, I have many times "operated on" my concertina, when something needed to be adjusted or fixed.  8^)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JimLucas said:

 

I've never used -- nor heard used -- the word "operate" for playing a concertina... nor any other musical instrument.

 

However, I have many times "operated on" my concertina, when something needed to be adjusted or fixed.  8^)

In comic announcements for our Morris side, I will sometimes refer to one of the musicians as an "accordion operator" or a "concertina owner".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...