shutupthepunx

yes, yet another 'which anglo to start off with' post

Posted (edited)

...but alot of the same questions from before seem a bit dated.

used to play guitar, bass , and drums although have lost all interest in playing anything the last 10years. now would like to start playing irish tunes on an anglo and not right sure what to get. i am aware that on guitar i progressed to a certain stage and then hit a wall that i never bothered to get over and then lost intereset. so i am slightly aware this might hapoen again.

wren 2, £369 includes hardcase

rochelle, £415 includes padded bag

new swan, £688 includes 'padded box'

seems like the rochelle is bigger and heavier which is a bit off putting. so maybe the question is, is the price difference worth it for the new swan over the wren 2? what do i get for that extra money, as its almost double the price.

many thanks

Edited by shutupthepunx
to tidy up links

the swan seems to have touch sensitive buttons.supposedly.

and how does the number of bellows affect the playing/sound? the wren 2 has 8 fold bellows, and the new swan 6 fold.

1 hour ago, shutupthepunx said:

the swan seems to have touch sensitive buttons.supposedly.

I wonder what you might mean by that... 

Best wishes - 🐺

I know nothing about either of the two McNeela concertinas, but I suspect that you need to look at the two listings and compare what the Wren 2 does not have compared to the Swan.

For example the Swan has a "rivet action" and " leather bellows".  Two items that I would consider essential.

Re the Rochelle, it is a bit bulky, but it's something you notice more when switching between it and a more expensive hybrid. If you're just playing the Rochelle, you get used to it's own particular weight distribution fairly quickly. Actually, they main thing that annoys me about the Rochelle is that the hand straps are ridiculously loose, but that's easy enough to fix.