Sign in to follow this  
duetconcertina

Lachenal 56 Key Edeophone s/n 2654

Posted (edited)

Lachenal 56 Key (55 keys plus air button) Edeophone s/n 2654

I'm trying to find out more about this particular concertina. I think it may be a Maccann duet, it has brown leather 9 fold bellows, raised metal ends that may be gold plated and what I think is amboyna woodwork. No idea if this has steel or brass reeds and, for me at least, the year of manufacture remains a mystery.

Given the 9 fold bellows, amboyna and gold fretted ends I would think this was somebodies pretty special concertina.

Any information on this rather splendid concertina would be be very much appreciated.

(Added a diagram of the keyboard layout)

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

keys.jpg

Edited by duetconcertina
updated with keyboard layout
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is a MacCann duet and has clearly been a very special one. It seems likely that the reeds will be steel but only opening it up will confirm that.

Have you checked to see whether the note layout is the same as in the chart you posted?

I own a 46 button Lachenal Edeophone MacCann duet, serial number 2097. Dowright has estimated that it dates from about 1901. Yours is clearly later than that, but I don’t know how much.

I like mine very much: it is very responsive and has a loud, assertive tone. If yours isn’t in playing condition (it has no straps for a start), I hope you get it fixed up and that it sounds as good as mine.

Steve

Edited by Lofty

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

It is a MacCann duet and has clearly been a very special one. It seems likely that the reeds will be steel but only opening it up will confirm that.

Have you checked to see whether the note layout is the same as in the chart you posted?

I own a 46 button Lachenal Edeophone MacCann duet, serial number 2097. Dowright has estimated that it dates from about 1901. Yours is clearly later than that, but I don’t know how much.

I like mine very much: it is very responsive and has a loud, assertive tone. If yours isn’t in playing condition (it has no straps for a start), I hope you get it fixed up and that it sounds as good as mine.

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

I will probably open it up to have a look at the reeds just to be sure.

The note layout has not been checked agains the chart, the buttons are all in the right places but as to what notes they may play is another matter . . . maybe.

I am working on the theory that the serial number would make it post 1900, as you say, and pre 1920 although that is something of a guess at this point.

It doesn't have straps fitted and there are some screws missing from one of the fretted metal ends. In addition to this not all the keys play as they should and I will be fully characterising this in due course.

Finally, I don't have a box for it but when I have found out as much as I can then it will likely be put up for sale.

I estimate the year of manufacture of No. 2654 as circa 1907. I know that No. 1898 was sold on 8 Feb 1898. I also now that there is the date of 22 Feb. 1922 inside No 2622 and the date of 21 April 1917 inside No. 2882. But these dates are not dates for original sale, but rather are dates of repair/retuning. These repairs/retunings often came 8-15 years or even longer after the original purchase.

On 8/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Dowright said:

I estimate the year of manufacture of No. 2654 as circa 1907. I know that No. 1898 was sold on 8 Feb 1898. I also now that there is the date of 22 Feb. 1922 inside No 2622 and the date of 21 April 1917 inside No. 2882. But these dates are not dates for original sale, but rather are dates of repair/retuning. These repairs/retunings often came 8-15 years or even longer after the original purchase.

Excellent information, thank you. I shall delve inside to see what there is to see over the weekend.