Sign in to follow this  
Jody Kruskal

Drunken Punter

A few weeks ago I was at a small Manhattan Irish session with two flutes, me on Anglo and Bob on English. At the end of a jig set, Bob launched into Popeye the Sailor Man... just for laughs.

Yes, it does have a B part.

A drunk suit came over to us gushing. Finally, a tune he recognized! “Can you sing the song? I’ll buy you a beer if you can”. We tried and failed to get very far, except for the part about how he lives in a garbage can. The punter was not satisfied. He pulled out his phone and dialed it up on the web and I gave it my best shot.

Stupid song. Good beer.

10 hours ago, Jody Kruskal said:

He pulled out his phone and dialed it up on the web and I gave it my best shot.

So where‘s the recording of your final rendition Jody? 😆

19 hours ago, Jody Kruskal said:

A few weeks ago I was at a small Manhattan Irish session with two flutes, me on Anglo and Bob on English. At the end of a jig set, Bob launched into Popeye the Sailor Man... just for laughs.

Yes, it does have a B part.

A drunk suit came over to us gushing. Finally, a tune he recognized! “Can you sing the song? I’ll buy you a beer if you can”. We tried and failed to get very far, except for the part about how he lives in a garbage can. The punter was not satisfied. He pulled out his phone and dialed it up on the web and I gave it my best shot.

Stupid song. Good beer.

My dad's theme song from 70 years ago,  Stupid now perhaps, but a delight as a child!  To complete the verse:  " I likes to go swimmin' with bare naked  wimmin'.  I'm Popeye the sailor man...Toot Toot!  😜