30-key Ball Beavon in Bb/F

david robertson

Here is a gorgeous 30-key Ball Beavon, made by Crabb, and playing just as you would expect a vintage Crabb to do. It has been variously described as 'assertive', 'strident' and even 'brash' - I thought the last one was a bit unkind! But it is certainly no shrinking violet. If you want to cut a sound swathe through massed melodeons, or be heard in the adjacent parish when playing for the Morris, this could be the one for you.

It has had a comprehensive restoration, with new pads, valves, bushes and straps. I have made and fitted new 7-fold bellows, with new chamois seals to the bellows ends and reed chambers, and refinished the woodwork in French polish. And finally, it is tuned to modern concert pitch, ready to enjoy. No original case, I'm afraid, but it has spent the past half-century in a 45rpm record carrying case.

As always, if you're within striking distance of Norwich, you're very welcome to come and try it. If not, contact me anyway, and I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. I'm asking £3500 for this one.

20190720_115605.jpg

20190720_115448.jpg

20190720_115347.jpg

20190720_115233.jpg

20190720_120229.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...