What's Your Ideal Situation?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at this question somewhat differently. I don't really have an interest in performance.

Okay, that part's good. In my 'ideal,' I'm outside on a nice sunny day and all the birdies are singing and I'm just having fun. If anyone else joins in, that's they're problem, etc..

I don't really seek to perform in a regular-type of group.

I'd like to someday find a female partner that shares my interests in the outdoors and music. She could play any acoustic instrument, but as long as it's a fantasy I'll make it another concertina or a wooden flute. In my fantasy we'd go on long mountain bike tours deep into the mountains and play for a few hours every afternoon and into the night. We'd also do several week Sea Kayak trips and again we'd play every day after setting up camp. I've had this exact fantasy for years, kayak touring the uninhabited barrier islands off the Eastern Shore of Va, USA. It would be nice if we could afford to do this all over the world....both bikes & kayaks are a very inexpensive way to tour. (it's a fantasy, right?)  ......

But...what is this....hmmm....an offer? For a free Bruce? Wow.... :P Hmm, that could be fun, maybe, but....well, uh, I am married, and there shall be NO bike tours, kayaks, or weeks away from my nest...not even days. And I have to feed the guy (hubby) that lives here, and help him find his clothes and stuff (why do they get that way?).

So...sorry, Bruce...sigh...oh well. :(

But, if you bike past this way with your concertina in the summer and it's safe to go outside (no snow), then maybe you could join me and the birdies!

I guess I’m living my ideal but I never really thought of it that way until this thread. I have the full band with lead/harmony vocals, two guitars, bouzouki, Irish/Scotts fiddle, Irish flute, tenor banjo, mandolin, B/C box (about to change to an EC, hence I joined Concertina.net), bass and keyboard. We play traditional and contemporary Celtic. It’s a big sound complete with sound rig, engineer, and a lot of work on our part to keep it flying. It comes with a big price tag so there’s revenue to be dealt with. Then there is the half band with me (banjo, mando, box), one guitar player and the fiddle player doing strictly traditional instrumental. Small sound and it comes easy as we travel light and half the time we don’t use sound gear. Cash in our pocket. Plus we host a local session.

Truth be told if I had to choose between the two, after 10 years of the big sound, I would go for the small combo. It’s just too easy and that makes it fun all the time. Not much in the pocket but the two band mates are like family, the music just flows, and the step dancers keep “breaking the boards”. That’s what it’s really all about for me.

Al

Oh glory glory,

Tina asked for an accordion player. I am in heaven. We are wanted.

Er, you did want one to play, in the band, right?

Helen :)

Helen yes in the band to play. YES you are wanted .... AWW ... we will be a band in heaven :)

(And Molly is my concertina)

Bigsqueezer, I would call this a happy accordion slayer

welcome to heaven.. here's your harp

welcome to hell... here's your accordion

er... :blink: that is uncannily like the chorus lyric from one of John Kirkpatricks songs "Wecome to Hell"

"Here's your harp, welcome to Heaven, Here's your accordion, welcome to Hell!"

welcome to heaven.. here's your harp

welcome to hell... here's your accordion

er... :blink: that is uncannily like the chorus lyric from one of John Kirkpatricks songs "Wecome to Hell"

"Here's your harp, welcome to Heaven, Here's your accordion, welcome to Hell!"

I'm pretty sure that Gary Larson's cartoon was the original inspiration for that oft-repeated joke... and the song.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for sticking up for me while I was away at music camp

And YES I took an accordion. Also a concertina which I promptly dropped.

Helen

No comments on how I dropped the wrong instrument. And yes the concertina is fine. :)

Ridicule my tast all you like, but I ENJOY accordian music....especially Cajun and Quebecois music!

I for one would not dream of ridiculing accordian music in it's entirety - there is a long continum from tasteful to "rhinestone encrusted stetson wearing" distasteful - in my humble opinion B)

I guess that's what makes the world go round - What one person may think is the best musical "tradition" out there, may well make another person think of fingernails nails scraping down a blackboard :o

Eh-hem! I think "rhinestone encrusted stetson wearing" perfectly describes Buckwheat Zydeco, so delightfully dirty and hot. How much better can it be than "Hot Tamalie Baby'?! Aiyee B)! Were I still religious, I would have to go to confession just thinking about this music!

I understand Peter, for me it's Wagner. Whenever I hear it I want to scream (and often do). That disgusting wall of noise coming towards you and nowhere to run :ph34r: .

Edited by Mark Evans

Poor Helen,

surely a person is allowed one mistake. ;)

To me Mark what music annoys me the most, is background music to plays and films so loud you cannot hear what the actors are saying.

The murderer was WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TURN IT OFF

Al :angry:

To me Mark what music annoys me the most, is background music to plays and films so loud you cannot hear what the actors are saying.

The murderer was WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TURN IT OFF

Al :angry:

Worse still is when they haven't even had the decency to record it using real instruments, and it's all synthesized strings and brass, and slightly strange sounding computerised tympani... I find that all the more intrusive because my brain then spends the majority of its processing power getting annoyed with the fact that the music is synthesized... :angry: