Wheatstone Anglo At Auction

Howard Mitchell

My brother-in-law has seen a concertina at an auction sale in Lincolnshire, UK and knowing that I'm interested in such things passed the reference to me. The auctioneer told him that he expects it to go for about GBP250.

I don't need another concertina at the moment, nor do I have time to do repairs so I thought someone here may be interested.

It's listed as "Concertina in original black ebonised box ex C Wheatstone and Co of Charing Cross, London". It's a 30 button anglo, wooden ends, bone buttons?, 5-fold bellows in black with gold stars. The auction house Perkins, George, Mawer have forwarded me a set of photographs which I've put on

Picture A

Picture B

Picture C

Picture D

and they add "I'm afraid we cannot give out condition reports of any kind, nor can we give out reserve prices, if guide prices are available we will forward them."

It's lot 352 in their auction 10th March 2005

I'm told that the instrument plays (it works!), I don't know what key or tuning it's in, there are some bellows leaks and the box is split. There doesn't appear to be a serial number on the outside of the instrument.

Howard Mitchell

Edited to correct the link to the pictures.

Edited by Howard Mitchell

The auction house Perkins, George, Mawer have forwarded me a set of photographs which I've put on...

Howard, when I click on your pictures A, B, C, and D, they all seem to be identical. :unsure:

Mea Culpa.

The links should be

Picture A

Picture B

Picture C

Picture D

Howard Mitchell

Edited by Howard Mitchell

Rather a curious item. The ends of the instrument look like the work of a recognised but anonymous maker, whom we have yet to identify, though the gold on black bellows papers were used on older Wheatstones. The label inside the lid is a woven Wheatstone one, but maybe from the 1940's, they can easily be removed from the lining of the original case and stuck into the lid of another (I did it myself for my own "double" Wheatstone Æola case, many years ago), which seems to be what has happened here.

I find that to be a low estimate since last week at Burnhams

"A Treble Concertina by C Wheatstone, London No. 26106

30 nickel buttons, plated fret cut foliate end plates, 16cms., in old decayed box

Minor visible bellow repairs at corners, some wear and tear, in ok

condition" went for 2629 pounds after an estimate of 4-500 pounds. I no longer have the pictures but it appeared to be in better condition. I was told all notes sounded but not much more. Other concertinas sold are listed in the "how much did it sell for" thread which I have no idea how to link to!

David