Sign in to follow this  
Mike Jones

Sources of Bushing Felt

Can anyone  tell we where to obtain bushing felt?

GIven that Mark at Concertinas Spares is on holiday and thus unavailable, I need some more bushing felt to bush the buttons of a 35k Crane duet I'm rebuilding. Both ends had bad cracks and the LHS had separated across the key holes. There is enough wood left, now they are repaired, to re-drill and then bush the holes otherwise they would be too large for the bone buttons and I have run out of red woven bushing felt. My local haberdashery was not able to find anyone manufacturing anything suitable and although I can obtain some green woven baize (for snooker tables) it is rather too coarse. Red woven felt is not essential, black or green would also be acceptable. Any ideas anyone?

Charlie Marshall cgmmusical.co.uk sells it I think, and in smaller quantities than you can get from Fletcher and Newman.

You can also get felt from Steve Dickinson - maybe slightly pricey per sq m but at least he sells it in small quantities suitable for a single concertina rather than a minimum order from a larger supplier and he knows eactly what's required in terms of thickness and composition

Alex West

Thanks  to you all. I shall explore the possibilities.

Mike

Don’t use snooker table baize, it is inclined to become fuzzy. Any piano restoration supplies business will have good quality baize in several thicknesses. They call it bushing cloth.

Thanks Chris,

I did have some table baize that I used to practice bushing some years ago while I was rebuilding an earlier acquisition and It did exactly as you said. I also had some 2mm blue card table baize that is a. too thick and b.  does not take to being forced into confined spaces as it pulls apart.

DDF : many thanks for the link, even cheaper than CGM. I had found a couple of piano baize suppliers but not that particular one.

Mike