Jeffries and Wheatstone layouts

Apologies, I was driving across the US the last few days without much internet (nothing fast, certainly) and will get it done. Thanks,

Ken

Edit added: Threads merged and result put in general discussion.

Thanks for the responses; I've now got a better idea of what's involved, i.e., I don't think I'll try to tackle switching back and forth (unless someone hands me a nice Wheatstone).

And thanks, Ken, for the merge.

To my mind, the principle drawback to the Wheatstone system is the lack of a high draw d, which considering you don't have any f#s on the push, means the harmonic choices are more limited. When reorganising my tunes for the Wheatstone layout in the book I did with Gary, this was the biggest headache for us both. On the other hand, perhaps of I'd grown up with playing the Wheatstone layout I'd have organised the tunes and accompaniment a little differently.

Adrian

28 minutes ago, adrian brown said:

the principle drawback to the Wheatstone system is the lack of a high draw d

I've even encountered that with my rather basic approach to the Anglo, albeit I hadn't been aware that the high draw d was included in the 30b Jeffries layout - glad to have it on my 38b C/G Lachenal as a supplement; it's the only "extra" button (with a very high push c - iiii indeed  - in the other direction, which provides a realy nice colouring for concluding a tune) I'm regularly engaging so far...

Best wishes - ?

(sorry for the OT aspects)

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
typo

On 7/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, adrian brown said:

To my mind, the principle drawback to the Wheatstone system is the lack of a high draw d, which considering you don't have any f#s on the push, means the harmonic choices are more limited. When reorganising my tunes for the Wheatstone layout in the book I did with Gary, this was the biggest headache for us both. On the other hand, perhaps of I'd grown up with playing the Wheatstone layout I'd have organised the tunes and accompaniment a little differently.

Adrian

My Wheatstone system 40-key G-D has a high A on pull and a C# on push; respectively the right-most and left-most buttons on the outer row on the RH end. The corresponding notes on a C-G would be D and F#. AFAIK those are standard.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:06 PM, Richard Mellish said:

My Wheatstone system 40-key G-D has a high A on pull and a C# on push; respectively the right-most and left-most buttons on the outer row on the RH end. The corresponding notes on a C-G would be D and F#. AFAIK those are standard.

Hi Richard,

Just so we are comparing like for like, here's a comparison of the two layouts we are considering - both are CG. It's quite possible your instrument was modified at some point - it wouldn't be the first time :-)

Cheers

Adrian

W 30B and J31B layouts compared.pdf

6 hours ago, adrian brown said:

Hi Richard,

Just so we are comparing like for like, here's a comparison of the two layouts we are considering - both are CG. It's quite possible your instrument was modified at some point - it wouldn't be the first time ?

Cheers

Adrian

W 30B and J31B layouts compared.pdf

Nope, my G-D was made new for me by Steve Dickinson but, as I said, it's 40-key. Steve had suggested having the extras, on the basis that having 30 and wishing one had more is much worse than having 40 and not using all of them. I do use all 40, though a few of them not very often.

3 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

Nope, my G-D was made new for me by Steve Dickinson but, as I said, it's 40-key. Steve had suggested having the extras, on the basis that having 30 and wishing one had more is much worse than having 40 and not using all of them. I do use all 40, though a few of them not very often.

Sorry Richard, missed that! I couldn't agree more about more being more as far as buttons are concerned, though I do understand those who prefer having less and enjoy the challenge that presents. However, my overriding feeling is that more than 30 opens up a whole new repertoire that is simply not possible with 30.

Cheers,

Adrian

1 hour ago, adrian brown said:

Sorry Richard, missed that! I couldn't agree more about more being more as far as buttons are concerned, though I do understand those who prefer having less and enjoy the challenge that presents. However, my overriding feeling is that more than 30 opens up a whole new repertoire that is simply not possible with 30.

Cheers,

Adrian

In particular a 40-key provides a lot of scope for playing whole phrases without change of bellows direction. Of course there is even more scope on a duet, but that's a different story.