Jeff Warner US Trad Songs workshop & evening, Lewes Saturday Folk Club

Lewes Saturday Folk Club Workshop No 270 www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org
JEFF WARNER:US TRAD SONGS from THE WARNER COLLECTION
http://www.jeffwarner.com
Saturday 14th. September 2019
10.45 a.m.- 4.45 p.m.
Places £35 (2 under-25-year-olds £17)
Elephant & Castle White Hill Lewes BN7 2DJ
A fine singer of American traditional songs, Jeff accompanies himself on guitar, 5-string banjo & English concertina. He presents music from North Carolina to New England with warmth, humour & understated scholarship. He's also a great teacher with a deep understanding of the origins on the music & how to perform it for today's listeners. His parents, Anne & Frank Warner, collected & published a huge number of traditional songs from the Eastern USA, with respect, empathy & affection for the singers. Their enormously important work is housed in the Library of Congress.
The early part of the workshop will be an overview of the Warner collection (1938-1966) including voices & photos of the traditional singers. In the late afternoon Jeff presents & teaches songs from the collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Warner_(folklorist)
IN THE EVENING JEFF WARNER PERFORMS AT LEWES SATURDAY FOLK CLUB (£8; tickets from club & website)

Provisional Timetable
10.45 Registration & coffee; order lunch (refreshments not included)
11.00 Stories from the Warner collection with recorded sound & photos taken by the Warners.
12.30 Lunch
13.30 Continuing the story of the Warner collection.
14:45 An offering of songs from the collection performed by Jeff with the participation of the class.
15.00 Tea/coffee break
16.45 Finish

N.B. Booking is recommended as numbers are limited. Maps & accommodation lists will be sent on request.

BOOKING FORM
I enclose a cheque for £35.00 for workshop fees (refreshments not included). Email first for youth places.

Name:

Address:

Instrument, if any:

Telephone:

E-mail address:

Tick for map: Tick for accommodation list:

No. of tickets for evening performance
(£8 each, include SAE for these):

Please make cheques payable to Lewes Saturday Folk Club and send with this booking form to: Valmai Goodyear, 20, St. John's Terrace,LEWES, East Sussex BN7 2DL
(01273) 476757 valmaigoodyear[at]aol[dot].com

Jeff_Warner_by_Ralph_Morang.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, Valmai Goodyear said:

Lewes Saturday Folk Club Workshop No 270 www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org
http://www.jeffwarner.com

Jeff is great!  An old friend, though I haven't seen him since I moved to Denmark.  A quarter-century later, he can only be better than ever.  And the material from the Warner collection is wonderful stuff.

And this is sufficient advance notice that I might even be able to plan ahead and be there in Lewes.  I sure hope so!