Help with a video game song arrangement?

Lilipea

Hello! First post on this forum after lurking around for the past few months!

I'm quite new to the concertina and have been playing a 30 button C/G for the past 6 months now, but have been loving learning songs with the help of Gary Coover's books. 

But I am hoping to try my hand at trying to play a few songs from video games,  specifically Kass' Theme from The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Luckily I have found this performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I44wjMjykw on a 40 button concertina. He provided the sheets for a piano arrangement in C which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBi44k0Xgo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m2s 

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to help tab it out or giving me some tips with the left hand? I play a 30 button C/G concertina.

I believe in the actual game the character plays a squeezebox as well! Which is quite fun!

Thank you,

James

Edited by Lilipea
  • Like 1

X:1
T:Kashiwas Thema
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:Am
E>F E/^D/E/c/ | "E7" B6 | z2 E>F E/^D/E/B/ | "Am" A6 | "A7" z2 A>_B A/^G/A/[eg]/ |
"Dm" [df]2 z[df] [df]2 | "G" [df]z [eg]z [df]z | "C" [df]z [ce]4  | z2 zc de |
"E7" e3 d d2- | d2 zd ed | "Am" d3 c c2- | c2 z2 AB |
"F7" c3 d c2 | "E7" Bz ez cz | "Am" A6 | z4 A/B/^c/d/ ||
"A" e3 A A2- | A2 ^c2 e2 | "Dm" g2 f3 e | f6 |
"G" d3 G G2- | G2 B2 d2 | "C" f2 e3 ^d | e6 |
"F" A3 B c2 | "C" G4 e2 | "E7" f3 e B2 | "Am" c6 |
"F" A4 a2 | "F7" a3 ^g a2 | "E7" b4 ^g2 | e6 |
"A" e3 A A2- | A2 AB ^cd | "A7" e6 | e3 e fg |
"F" [ca]6 | "G7" [Ba]4 g/a/g/f/ | "C7" [_Bg]4 (3fgf | "A7" [^ce]6 |
"Dm" [Ad]3 e f2 | "E7" [^Gf]2 e2 d2 | "Am" [Ac]4 [Bd]2 | [ce]2 a2 c'2 |
"Dm" [db]4 a2 | "E7" [B^g]3 ^f g2 | "Am" [cea]6 | "D" [d^fa]6 | "Am" [cea]6 | H[cea]2 |]

• Like 1

Ah wow! Thank you very much for this, and I appreciate time it has taken to do this, but I am afraid I don't understand this type of notation, I am quite new to this haha! How do I go about teaching myself to read this? Is this 'ABC notation'?

Yes, this are the dots from the YT video as ABC notation. I did this for @mathhag (and for myself ;) ), it doesn't take much time.

What can you do with it? You can copy and past it on http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php to render it again as normal musical notation. You can let the computer transpose it for you from the key of A minor to E minor or another key which is maybe better suited for your concertina. You can make the computer play it for you at a speed you like and in a key you like.

I don't play anglo, so I can't help you with playing advice (but I'm sure someone else can). I can only say how I would play it on a 20 button concertina.

• Like 1

Ah I see! That's so cool and so helpful! I will definitely play around with it and see where my limited musical knowledge takes me haha! Should be fun!

I am definitely still open to any tips and tabs anyone could help with on fitting the arrangement on a 30-button C/G :) and thank you so much so far! 

Edited by Lilipea

Hello James,

And here's one way to play it on a 30-button Anglo, based mostly on Toru's playing. I'm not familiar with the original, but with luck this will at least be a good starting point. 

I must say I applaud your ambition for a beginning player, which is the polite way of saying "Are you out of your freakin' mind???". I don't think I've ever written out a tune that's used nearly every button! 26/30 has to be some kind of record. However, having said that, I have every faith in you persevering until you've got it mastered. 

Special thanks to Toru Kato for showing it can be played on the Anglo!

Gary

Kashiwa-Theme.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Oh my god!! This is absolutely incredible ? I wasn't expecting to literally get a fully arranged sheet like this! This is absolutely amazing, thank you so much!!

1 hour ago, gcoover said:

"Are you out of your freakin' mind???"

Hehe, I might be! But I am determined and will keep working on it! And I thought your arrangement of Grogg Mayles was a lot of buttons! I just recently finished perfecting that song so now I feel ready to take on this beast haha! ?

Thank you once again, I really admire your work, your books are fantastically accessible and a real joy to play through! 

And yes, Toru Kato's videos are great, I feel a lot of the old video game fantasy soundtracks sound amazing on the concertina and really captures the nostalgia.

James 

Edited by Lilipea
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, Lilipea said:

Ah wow! Thank you very much for this, and I appreciate time it has taken to do this, but I am afraid I don't understand this type of notation, I am quite new to this haha! How do I go about teaching myself to read this? Is this 'ABC notation'?

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm

this is a link to part one of an ABC tutorial. It has links to lead you on to parts 2 and 3. If you master all 3 parts you will be ahead of most people.

Regards,

John Wild.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

First post ever here because I've been searching for 30 button anglo tabs for this song for years, but the link to the pdf is dead now. I was able to figure out the bones of the melody, but it sounds hollow since the accompaniment entirely escapes me. If anyone still has the pdf, l would be extremely thankful, although the abc notation at least gives me a valuable lead regardless. 

27 minutes ago, Micr0waveMan said:

First post ever here because I've been searching for 30 button anglo tabs for this song for years, but the link to the pdf is dead now. I was able to figure out the bones of the melody, but it sounds hollow since the accompaniment entirely escapes me. If anyone still has the pdf, l would be extremely thankful, although the abc notation at least gives me a valuable lead regardless. 

The attachment in Gary's post above still works fine for me. Maybe it's a browser or network issue?

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I took the message to mean that the link expired or something, made an account to ask for a new one, and never even thought to try downloading it again while logged in. Got it open now, all that's left is for me to learn it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Micr0waveMan said:

I took the message to mean that the link expired or something...

Understandable. If I'm not logged in, the pdf attachment to Gary's post says:

Kashiwa-Theme.pdf
Unavailable

Nothing to say it's only available to members. If, despite that, I click it, I get this message:

Oops!
This attachment is not available. 
It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Very poor user interface. Especially as many people contemplating taking up the concertina will read the forum to find out what kind of instrument to buy. I know I did - for several months. The messages should encourage people to join.

• Like 1