Advice on selling a 1922 Wheatstone concertina

fernleighkid

Morning from New Zealand

We are after some advice on the best place to sell a 1922 Wheatstone .

After the investigation from the serial number which is 29205 we find its a model 39  , made on the 22nd of may 1922 .

8 sided , metal one end , wood the other . it has a total of 69 keys ,

It it better to just put a listing on eBay for this or is there a better place a concertina of this quality should be sold . 

If anyone wants more information and pics  or is willing to make an offer ,  we can discuss it here or if you email me and  I will  send more pictures .

I can be emailed directly on fernleighbooks@gmail.com 

DSC06092.JPG

DSC06093.JPG

Edited by fernleighkid

Hi and welcome - I‘d say you might very well try to find a buyer here; and not just because it would cost you less than the eBay fee. The type is called MacCann Duet, some players are among our members.

As to the different ends - that are undoubtedly original according to the ledgers - my first thought was like: what a striking solution to the hardly ever satisfying balance between left and right; this was until I realised that the metal end  on the left, the „ebony“ one on the right: thereby possibly even increasing the lack of balance.

Amazing in any event...

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Thanks for the feedback and info.  The ledgers are very interesting ,   

I think its fantastic to be able to go back and look through these ledgers and confirm certain things like the dates and info on items like this .

Edited by fernleighkid

1 hour ago, fernleighkid said:

Thanks for the feedback and info.  The ledgers are very interesting ,  ( As a big fan of old ephemera and old books as well ) , 

I think its fantastic to be able to go back and look through these ledgers and confirm certain things like the dates and info on items like this .

(  I love  old machinery and manufacturing books from the 1800's as well )

Then you might like this Wheatstone price list from the era of your concertina: http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheatstone-duet/Wh-Pricelist-Duet-c1920.pdf

21 minutes ago, Daniel Hersh said:

Then you might like this Wheatstone price list from the era of your concertina: http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheatstone-duet/Wh-Pricelist-Duet-c1920.pdf

Thats brilliant to read and get an indication of how expensive they were back then ,

But gets me a bit confused , when combining the ledger with the sales pricelist .

As  on the pricelist the octagonal are 40 and 41 and the ledger says 39 ( is that the model numer on the ledger ? ) http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P1690S.HTM

And this has  68 note keys ( Unless I have to put my glasses on do a recount ) 

Would this have been specially made for someone . 

All very intriguing , its a real shame that I am not able to play this but am in search of a local who can ( we live in a relatively small town . ) 

How near are you to Auckland?  Dirge (David Gardiner?) is a long-time Maccann player and a Kiwi.  If you're near him, he could certainly tell you what it needs and might be worth.  You might try to post a message to him to see ... use the message envelope in the upper right corner beside your logged-in name.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, saguaro_squeezer said:

How near are you to Auckland?  Dirge (David Gardiner?) is a long-time Maccann player and a Kiwi.  If you're near him, he could certainly tell you what it needs and might be worth.  You might try to post a message to him to see ... use the message envelope in the upper right corner beside your logged-in name.

We are in Nelson which is a about 500 km away from him . 

I doubt it needs anything 'fixed 'on it ,  possibly a tune .

Its been very well looked after , thats for sure  .

Thanks for the help so far . 

Thanks again 

Steve 

Edited by fernleighkid

9 hours ago, fernleighkid said:

Thats brilliant to read and get an indication of how expensive they were back then ,

But gets me a bit confused , when combining the ledger with the sales pricelist .

As  on the pricelist the octagonal are 40 and 41 and the ledger says 39 ( is that the model numer on the ledger ? ) http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD01/PAGES/D1P1690S.HTM

And this has  68 note keys ( Unless I have to put my glasses on do a recount ) 

Would this have been specially made for someone . 

All very intriguing , its a real shame that I am not able to play this but am in search of a local who can ( we live in a relatively small town . ) 

I don't know the answer re the button count.  The concertina was probably a special order of some kind because a metal end on one end and wood on the other is extremely unusual, so an extra button could have been a special request too. 

Re hexagonal vs. octagonal. the price list does say "Nos. 36 to 39, in the New Aeola Octagonal Model, £2 extra", so it's still likely to be a model 39.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up to this ,

Thanks for the help here and also after some help from a few other  people in the know  I have decided list the concertina on ebay as per this link .

We shall see how that goes .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183866727814?ViewItem=&item=183866727814&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:AU:1123

Thanks again Steve 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:39 AM, Daniel Hersh said:

Re hexagonal vs. octagonal. the price list does say "Nos. 36 to 39, in the New Aeola Octagonal Model, £2 extra", so it's still likely to be a model 39.

My experience -- including one instrument I own -- is that on special orders, the model number listed in the ledgers is likely to be the model number of a standard instrument which would have had the same ends, unmodified.

My own example is given with a standard Wheatstone (aka "Maccann", a name which Wheatstone never used) duet model number and simply the notation "special".  It is, in fact, a quite different duet system (one of the Pitt-Taylor variants) and has other "special" features, including mirrored keyboards and something like gloves for holding it.

23 hours ago, Lofty said:

Any chance of any photos of your “special”, Jim?

Yep, though probably not today.

Very busy, even without celebrating our* independence from George III.

* I live in Denmark, but I'm a US citizen.  8^)