G/d Anglos

Chris Timson

So while Chris has phrased it in terms of "demand", it seems to be more that the buyer got the key that a particular maker had used.

So there was demand -- perhaps a better term is "a willing market" -- for that type of instrument, but it took a while to refine itself into a demand for instruments in particular keys.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while Chris has phrased it in terms of "demand", it seems to be more that the buyer got the key that a particular maker had used.

So there was demand -- perhaps a better term is "a willing market" -- for that type of instrument, but it took a while to refine itself into a demand for instruments in particular keys.

Like 150 years on, and we're still waiting ? :blink: :unsure:

As I have mentioned, some important issues relating to the key systems of 2-row button accordions (in both the English and Irish traditions) were only resolved in the 1950's, but it is still difficult to get tremolo and octave harmonicas in D (unless I order large quantities from manufacturers), many 4-stop melodeons are only available in C (and not D), and where are all the 20-key German concertinas in D/A ?

Stephen and Jim,

I have seen a few used german concertinas in D/A over the years, mostly of fairly recent (post- 1970s?) date, on the smaller side, and with a single set of steel reeds. I have never been in a position to order quantities of new ones, so I don't know the availability of them, but if you have not been able to order them maybe they were discontinued a while back or possibly some distributor in this country made a special order, with the results still circulating here.

Paul

I have seen a few used german concertinas in D/A over the years, mostly of fairly recent (post- 1970s?) date, on the smaller side, and with a single set of steel reeds. I have never been in a position to order quantities of new ones, so I don't know the availability of them ...

Paul,

I was thinking more in terms of double-reeded ones, and really fancy getting one for myself, and maybe for some more of the older players around here ;) , like 90 year-old Paddy Frawley (who doesn't like the "new" English-style concertinas) or maybe Kitty Hayes might like one ? (I see she's selling her G/D.)

I'm in touch with a maker in Klingenthal, so if you are interested (and I know that you like the old German instruments), let me know.