wheatstone tenor-treble ebony Aeola on Ebay this week

robert stewart

There are pics on Ebay.  Auction number is 333206515078. Is this a scam? Wheatstone serial number 32082. Seller claims to bring the instrument to Canada or the USA  in July or August (??) and also asks for a bank transfer when approached about buying. International shipping is mysteriously priced at 1 Euro, around 2 dollars or less. R J (Bob) Stewart, WV, USA)

Why should there be an international shipping charge when the owner is bringing the instrument over with him? I doubt he'd turn you down if you volunteered to pay his plane fare, though. . . .

Edited by mdarnton

My entirely surly and suspicious thought was this...the seller wants someone to pay almost $4,000.00 for a (fine looking) Wheatstone tenor-treble concertina in May...and then have the buyer wait three months until July/August to do what...collect it in Canada? have it shipped from within the US? When I contacted the seller he responded saying that he intended to sell it to a dealer in Canada, unless I bid on it rapidly. Which of course he is entitled to do. Hmmm....???

There is a dealer in concertinas in Canada?

News to me, anyone know who that might be?

(Well, Ben Otto in Toronto is a dealer, I suppose, but he usually buys in SA and sells them from Canada, and he only seems to buy and sell Anglos).

Edited by Don Taylor

3 hours ago, robert stewart said:

My entirely surly and suspicious thought was this...the seller wants someone to pay almost $4,000.00 for a (fine looking) Wheatstone tenor-treble concertina in May...and then have the buyer wait three months until July/August to do what...collect it in Canada? have it shipped from within the US? When I contacted the seller he responded saying that he intended to sell it to a dealer in Canada, unless I bid on it rapidly. Which of course he is entitled to do. Hmmm....???

Listing seems to be gone.  If you can still see it, please post the URL.  It may indeed have been a scam.

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

Paul Read used to be a concertina dealer in Canada and may still be.  I think that Ben Otto, who sells concertinas that he imports from South Africa, may be in Canada too.

23 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

I bet that's it. 

Description as translated by Google Translate:  

"Wheatstone concertina model 19 tenor treble exceptional original condition discovered as it is presented, forgotten in a trunk at the bottom of an attic, it is in its "juice", authentic as every object that I sell. In its box with its straps marked in the name of wheatstone, this instrument of the years 1929 according to its number is in perfect condition, a unique piece for passionate musician ready to put the price for a rare instrument. I received the advice of one of the greatest experts of the United States (Michael Button Box) which allowed me to identify with certainty the model having no knowledge in this area. (estimated at $ 4,000 to $ 6,000) Very well stocked for 80 years it has crossed the time, to reappear today. A unique collector's item in this state. Its only fault, it misses the key of the box :) The packaging of the parcel will be as always, for these objects that I love and have crossed the time, a very high quality. Payment by paypal, bank transfer possible, to see together. Do not hesitate to ask me questions, we can also consider a video by whatsapp to reassure you, my email: viala1924@gmail.com Direct offers welcome hand-delivered in Canada North America between July 27 and August 18 Great deals"

Item location is listed as "Montreal/new york 27 juillet 18 aout , France"  It sounds like the seller is based in France but plans to be in North America (or send the concertina there) from late July through mid-August.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

21 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

(Well, Ben Otto in Toronto is a dealer, I suppose, but he usually buys in SA and sells them from Canada, and he only seems to buy and sell Anglos).

I have nothing to do with the the ebony concertina. Regards, Ben

A couple of years ago someone offered a similar, but earlier EE Aeola on c.net - from Milano ( Italy ). Sounded too fishy...

So I arranged to meet the seller, flew to Milano, spent a couple of nice days there - and cash and carried the Aeola at a good price.

David Robertson made it look and play as good as new....

There still is a fine small ( 28 key ) Tort-Aeola in Australia. I would immediately fly over, to pick it up, if the owner decided to sell;-)