EC vs Anglo.. not the question you think!

So here is the deal. I have a 48 Lachenal English, thank you Greg Jowasis! And I have an AC Norman C/G Anglo ( thank you Tim Tedrow).

i got the AC first and just never got my arms around it. Later I picked up the English and it seems to be working. But as I get better, I notice that the Lachenal is substantially quieter. And even though it is steel reeds, it is significantly more mellow. Is this inherent to their respective instruments?

As as I seem to be gravitating towards ITM, I don’t think the Lachenal would hold up in a session. Should I look at a different English? Posssibly trade both mine for a brighter English?

the anglos is not getting a lot of attention lately, should I keep it and wait for me to come around to the Anglo again?

thanks

IMO the answer is simple and clear: go for a Wheatstone Model 22 or 24 - they can be as close to a Jeffries as EC come...

All the best - ?

P.S.: I could provide you with a SC link to give an impression of the sound (I even used some EQ to filter the high partials).

For session playing  in  ITM  it is good to have  a  concertina with plenty  of volume  available, when one needs it  of course  and not neccessarily  all the time.  I agree with Wolf  that  a Wheatstone  model  22 or  24  will usually provide   enough  power  whilst retaining a  decent  tone  quality.  A metal ended  Lachenal 'New Model'  will also  have  good carrying power  but I find the tone can be a  wee  bit  thin ( cutting)  and sometimes annoying.  Wooden ended  New Models  are   a little quieter but  have a so much sweeter  sound.

I  play an early  model 22  in a noisy dance band, it holds its  own  very well  and my current  spare  concertina is also a 22, for those just in case, rare, moments  when  the  main squeeze  breaks a spring  or drops a pad  during a  gig.

Keep the Anglo  too.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I am not even sure what model my Lachenal is. But am I generally correct in my judgement that it seems to be quiet? And there would be a substantial difference in stepping up to the 22?

I recorded this with little practice on the particular instrument, but listening to the first tune might give you an impression. The 22/24 have a very special tone which could perhaps be described as bright and fat - simply different from both a Wheatstone Aealo and a Lachenal, whatever model.

8 hours ago, seanc said:

So here is the deal. I have a 48 Lachenal English, thank you Greg Jowasis! And I have an AC Norman C/G Anglo ( thank you Tim Tedrow).

What are the ends of each made of?

One can always find exceptions, but in general metal-ended instruments tend to be perceived as both louder and "brighter" than wooden-ended.

Meanwhile, not all steel reeds were/are made with the same grade of steel.  I believe it's the costlier models that would generally have harder, more elastic steel,  allowing for greater swings of the tongue (with sufficient pressure differential) and thus greater volume.

Edited by JimLucas