Duet Recordings

These are tunes I recorded in 2009 and 2010, when I was playing a lot of solo duet concertina. My instrument is a Wakker 46-key Hayden duet made with padauk wood and concertina reeds. You can see a photo of my actual instrument on the Wakker website W-H1Hayden duet page. It's a beautiful, responsive, nice sounding, easy playing instrument (although I've had some problems with the valves now and again).

These recordings are not single takes, some have a few small edits, and some are pieced together from several takes, but I didn't overdub or add any concertina parts.

At A Georgia Camp Meeting
One of the first tunes I tried learning on my Wakker duet. I had arranged Kerry Mills' tune "Whistling Rufus" on Anglo, and I wanted another fun cakewalk tune I could play on duet. I adapted it from a scan of the 1899 piano sheet music, and added a few ideas of my own based on old recordings.

Under the Double Eagle
This is a tune sometimes played by bluegrass-style guitarists. I learned it from a scan of the 1902 sheet music, and played it with my friend Jordan Francisco on guitar and overdubbed mandolin solo. Jordan helped me arrange it with a few bluegrassy transitions.

Partita No. 1 for Solo Violin - Tempo di Borea
This is a movement from a piece by J.S. Bach. I wanted to learn something with a bit of an English concertina feel, and I like this melody. I had to change the key from Bm to Am to fit in a high note, but it's otherwise note-for-note from the sheet music. I recorded this in a big empty room (no effects added).

Tobasco - Rag Time Waltz
Another tune I learned from old sheet music, this one published in 1909. Very tricky, I kept changing how I played the last part, and it still has some awkward fingerings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

These records are excellent Boney! I love the very full sound you get in both At A Georgia Camp Meeting and Tobasco - in both you make a great use of your right hand, and I really love the occasional counter-melodies like embelishments, as well as the chord played with the right hand in the offbeat. Tobasco in particular sounds incredibly full, and the variations starting at 2:00, when you shift the melodic work to the left hand, are really good. You almost sound like a concertina playing V. Marceau! Did you ever publish the sheet music for these arrangements online?

Edited by ritonmousquetaire
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 9:32 AM, Alan Day said:

Thanks Richard I assume that these are in addition to those posted by Jim Besser above. Your link does not appear to be working.

Al

Sorry about that, and glad that someone else has resolved it. Something to do with ordinary and non-breaking spaces and how they are handled by different operating systems.

I have found an old CD of the Concertina Concert ECMW 2003 which features amongst others Mike Hebbert (I think) and two wonderful recordings by Iris Bishop.

Was anybody there ? I will with some help post them here.

Thank you all for your support so far. Many more recordings to come.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

On 6/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, ritonmousquetaire said:

These records are excellent Boney! I love the very full sound you get in both At A Georgia Camp Meeting and Tobasco - in both you make a great use of your right hand, and I really love the occasional counter-melodies like embelishments, as well as the chord played with the right hand in the offbeat. Tobasco in particular sounds incredibly full, and the variations starting at 2:00, when you shift the melodic work to the left hand, are really good. You almost sound like a concertina playing V. Marceau! Did you ever publish the sheet music for these arrangements online?

Boney - I agree with everything ritonmousquetaire said!  These are fantastic recordings.  In addition to the wonderful arrangements you put together, your selections give us nice examples that showcase the versatility of the Duet concertina, and how much can be done with only 46 keys.  Thanks for sharing these.

• Like 2

Please go to page one where all the duet recordings have been put together by Wes Williams 

The pages continue for your comments and recordings which will be added to the collection ,the first post on page one.

My thanks to Wes for a lot of very hard work.

I hope you enjoy the playing which can be downloaded free.

Al

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alan Day said:

Please go to page one where all the duet recordings have been put together by Wes Williams 

The pages continue for your comments and recordings which will be added to the collection ,the first post on page one.

My thanks to Wes for a lot of very hard work.

I hope you enjoy the playing which can be downloaded free.

Al

Al (and Wes) - looks good!  I would suggest that you also link to the recordings listed at http://www.craneconcertina.com/links.html under "Magic Fingers - Concertina Players". 

You might also want to ask Boney if it's ok to list his recordings under his real name.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

You might also want to ask Boney if it's ok to list his recordings under his real name.

Oh, yes, of course. It's Jeff Lefferts here, forgot my name wasn't attached.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a link to a YouTube of our recording of The Teddy Bears' Picnic last night - but this morning we've decided to re-record it as we think we can improve on it. Sorry for the messing about... I'll post a new YouTube soon.

Gavin

Edited by Gavin Atkin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...